HR Business Partner
People & HR
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, July 6, 2023
We are looking for a Human Resources Business Partner to support our rapidly growing team. This highly cross-functional role will be a founding pillar of a small but mighty people team, and you’ll work closely with colleagues focused on people operations, recruiting, finance, legal, and security, as well as senior leadership. You will help us build out our HR policies and strategies, and act as a trusted leader and guide on a wide range of employee related topics.
Anthropic is an AI safety and research company that’s working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole. Our interdisciplinary team has experience across ML, physics, policy, business and product.
- Employee Support - Providing support to employees and managers on all human resource-related topics throughout their lifecycle at Anthropic, and running point on employee relations
- Management and leadership engagement - Acting as a trusted advisor to senior leadership on all HR-related topics and help to set our human resources strategy as we scale
- Building out and scaling our HR infrastructure - From testing and selecting new tools to building out employee resources, you will help develop and scale the systems we use to provide an exceptional experience to our employees
- Performance Management - Working closely with management to create a conducive culture for high performance and manage performance expectations for employees
- Benefits and Compensation - In partnership with management and finance, ensuring we are providing a competitive compensation and benefits package for employees, including conducting market research
- Administration and compliance - Helping to administer backend HR processes such as benefits administration, administer mandated leaves, and ensure we are in compliance with HR-related federal, state and local laws
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have a minimum of 5-8 years experience working in human resources, people operations, legal operations, or closely related functions
- Have experience operating at a California-based company, and relative fluency with CA-specific HR and employment policies and best practices
- Have worked at a tech company or in a similarly fast-paced environment
Strong candidates may also:
- Excel at supporting employees and managers to do their best work
- Care deeply when it comes to helping and supporting a diverse set of people at all levels of an organization
- Have proven experience and skill sets in providing confidential, practical support and are trained in topics like conflict resolution
- Have strong working knowledge of human-resource-related best practices and are able to effectively implement these in a culturally appropriate fashion
- Be a pragmatic problem-solver and enjoy developing creative solutions
- Thrive in building and scaling processes, and enjoy identifying and setting up new systems at a quickly growing company
- Care about ensuring that advanced AI systems are developed safely, and have at minimum a basic interest in artificial intelligence and its potential applications
Annual salary (USD)
- The expected salary range for this position is $160k - $270k.
Location-based hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
US visa sponsorship: We do sponsor visas! However, we aren't able to successfully sponsor visas for every role and every candidate; operations roles are especially difficult to support. But if we make you an offer, we will make every effort to get you into the United States, and we retain an immigration lawyer to help with this.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills. We're trying to build a core of knowledge and intuition about the most robustly effective innovations in AI, and so thoroughly-documented null results are almost as valuable as positive discoveries. We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us!
Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.