Site Reliability Engineer (London)
Posted on Tuesday, February 7, 2023
We're looking for a Site Reliability Engineer who can work in the UK time zone. You'll ensure the high availability and performance of our Kubernetes clusters that power machine learning research and services.
Anthropic’s mission is to create reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our users and for society as a whole. Our team is a quickly growing group of committed researchers, engineers, policy experts, and business leaders working together to build beneficial AI systems.
- Own Kubernetes clusters with thousands of nodes
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues across the stack, from networking to applications
- Improve monitoring, alerting, and incident response
- Automate operations and infrastructure management
- Partner with ML researchers and engineers to meet their infrastructure needs
- Tune autoscaling and resource allocation for ML jobs
- Build fault-tolerance into infrastructure to handle node failures
- Monitor clusters and set up alerts/on-call playbooks
- Migrate cloud deployments to Kubernetes using Terraform
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have significant experience with Kubernetes and cloud-native infrastructure
- Have a DevOps/SRE mindset: you enjoy debugging complex systems and automating solutions
- Have strong communication skills to work with a range of technical and non-technical colleagues
- Have an interest in the societal impacts of ML and a commitment to building robust, reliable systems
Strong candidates may also have:
- Cloud infrastructure on AWS/GCP
- Terraform/Infrastructure as Code
- Monitoring/alerting tools like Prometheus/Grafana
- Python and Linux SysAdmin skills
- Significant experience with Kubernetes architecture and administration
- Strong Linux skills and cloud infrastructure expertise
- Familiarity with networking, caching, and storage optimizations
- Track record of building resilient, scalable systems
- Comfort debugging complex, distributed systems
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Annual Salary (GBP)
- The expected salary range for this position is £230k - £370k.
Location-based hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Private health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your dependents.
- Pension contribution (matching 4% of your salary)
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Health cash plan
- Life insurance and income protection
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills. We're trying to build a core of knowledge and intuition about the most robustly effective innovations in AI, and so thoroughly-documented null results are almost as valuable as positive discoveries. We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us!
Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.