Senior Director, Assistant Controller
As a member of the ShipBob Team, you will benefit from an environment where everything is achievable. We aim to be a place where you can:
- Write Your Career Story. Because we are solving some of the most difficult problems in global commerce, you have the opportunity to write the story that will make your career.
- Experience Global Impact and Global Connection. At ShipBob we benefit from diverse cultures and perspectives in service of the global community.
- Grow With An Ownership Mindset. We believe that great innovation comes from great transparency. We are more resilient and more creative when we have an inclusive and transparent culture where everyone knows our strengths and opportunities.
Title: Senior Director, Assistant Controller
Location: Remote in these states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, KS, KY, IA, ID, IL, IN, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA, WI
We are seeking a Senior Director, Assistant Controller, to join our growing accounting team. The Senior Director will be instrumental in business partnership support through day-to-day operational accounting accuracy and efficiency as well as ensuring timely and accurate month end close and reporting while establishing and maintaining a strong internal control environment.
What you’ll do:
- Steer operational and GL accounting to optimize business support and SLAs of accuracy and deadlines while ensuring a strong environment of controls, compliance, and governance.
- Manage and ensure timely and accurate month end, quarter end and year end close for all ShipBob entities including related financial reporting and review.
- Stay current on proposed and new accounting guidance and best practices, including GAAP and SEC Reporting.
- Partner with Director, Technical Accounting and External Reporting to interpret and assess impact of relevant technical guidance on the Company’s accounting policies and disclosures, as well as provide guidance on how to operationalize and implement required modifications.
- Guide special projects and initiatives to ensure US GAAP policies are being applied and optimize the effectiveness of existing business applications, processes, technologies, and systems in order to build a strong foundation as well as efficiencies/improvements into current business processes.
- Assist with the documentation and testing related to the internal control environment and provide support for SOX requirements, including review and maintenance of various corporate accounting processes and documentation.
- Elevate, manage, and develop the team with a commitment to continuous learning and improvement, using a collaborative management style with a willingness to dig into details to support our objectives in a hyper-growth environment. Direct reports include a Director, US Controller, a Director, India Controller, Senior Manager, Accounts Payable and Senior Manager, Accounts Receivables.
- Run collaborative and proactive relationships with key stakeholders, including key constituents throughout the company, including but not limited to the external auditors, legal and compliance, IT, HR, FP&A, revenue, and engineering departments.
- Support the external audit and internal audit processes.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as necessary.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting.
- CPA is preferred.
- 15+ years of accounting experience, heavily focused on GL work, financial statements and related reporting, and solid business operations partner.
- Prior public accounting, multi-national footprint and/or SEC reporting experience.
- Prior experience as a Business Unit Controller or Corporate Assistant Controller required.
- Established track-record of process improvements and team leadership, with resulting tangible impact through increased accuracy and reduced month end close timelines.
- Solid technical knowledge of U.S. GAAP, including foundational tax and treasury knowledge.
- Ability to perform detailed work and review while maintaining organization under tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to interact effectively with people across various functions, management, and external professionals (i.e. auditors).
- Ability to effectively collaborate and work in teams as well as work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on initiative, knowledge sharing, team building and decision making.
- Knowledge and prior experience working with NetSuite, Hyperion and Workiva a plus.
- Prior Experience with Footnote, disclosures, XBRL tagging, and Technical Memo writing a plus.
- Advanced Excel skills required, including VLOOKUP’s, SUMIF’s and Pivot Tables.
- Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Enthusiastic, adaptable, and see challenges as an opportunity to grow.
Reports to: VP, Global Controller
Perks & Benefits:
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Basic Life Insurance
- Paid Maternity/Parental Leave Program
- Flexible Time Off Program
- Paid Sick Leave and Paid Emergency Leave
- Floating Holidays (2 days/year)
- Wellness Days (1 day/quarter)
- 401K Match
- Competitive Salary, Performance Bonus & Equity
- Variety of voluntary benefits, such as, short term disability
- Referral Bonus Program
- Fun Culture >>> Check us out on Instagram (@lifeatshipbob)
ShipBob believes in transparency while providing a competitive total compensation package with a pay for performance approach. The expected base pay range for this position is $195,000 - $220,000.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
At ShipBob, we’re looking to bring on board people who embody our core values:
- Be Mission-Driven. We want team members that are passionate about helping entrepreneurs improve their business, and bring that passion every day.
- Be Humble. We have ambitious goals, and our team members understand that success or failure depends on us working together and leaving egos at the door.
- Be Resilient. Logistics is a complicated business. So is software. We value team members that never give up and keep iterating until a problem is solved.
- Be a Creative Problem Solver. As a startup, we value smart, innovative solutions to complex problems. We fall in love with the problem, not our “favorite” solution.
- Be Safety Minded. It’s not just talk; it’s the way you work.
ShipBob is a cloud-based logistics platform that partners with thousands of e-commerce businesses to help make their entrepreneurial dreams a reality. We offer a full suite of fulfillment solutions for our merchants, including the ability to improve their transit times, shipping costs and deliver a best in class experience to their customers.
As one of the fastest growing tech companies in Chicago backed by blue-chip investors like Menlo Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, Hyde Park Venture Partners and SoftBank Vision Fund 2, our goal is to continue to be the best fulfillment technology in the industry.
ShipBob provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.