Fellow, Computational Biology
Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Recursion Maps of Biology are fully-relatable environments where high-dimensional profiles of genome-wide genetic and chemical profiles generate trillions of relationships between biological perturbations and potential therapeutic interventions. Recursion has developed workflows for conducting inferential discovery of relational insights from biological maps and automated the progression of these insights through the drug discovery process. This involves utilizing standardized, scaled ‘omics technologies and chemical optimization through loops of experimental data and ML predictions while continually exploring technology that can push the bounds of drug discovery.
The Impact You’ll Make
In addition to the technological advancements that power Recursion’s ability to model complex biology across the genome, modern AI and ML capabilities have unlocked powerful tools in extracting causal biology from multimodal patient data. Leveraging these advancements, the Computational Biology Fellow will apply their creative mind to find inventive and unconventional strategies that integrate world-class patient genomics data from industry leaders such as Tempus, with Recursion's scaled and standardized experimental data. To capture the full potential of these data systems, this role will capitalize on existing state-of-the-art in AI and ML while also driving entirely new methodology in this space. We envision that taking on bold approaches to integrating patient and experimental data will reveal a greater understanding of disease biology, causality, and translational biomarkers, and will support the discovery of new, high-impact therapeutic solutions for patients.
The Team You’ll Join
This role is seated within a small, innovation-centric team at Recursion with the mission of entering entirely new frontiers of modeling, understanding and treating disease. It is dedicated to investigating new technologies and ideas that will drastically improve the drug discovery process, focusing on quickly reaching decisive endpoints. In this startup-like environment, you will take on a wide range of scientific responsibilities and join a team of dedicated scientists that all lead change through cross-functional collaboration and direct scientific engagement. You will report to the VP of Industrialized Drug Discovery and join flexible teams based on the projects at hand.
In this role, you will:
- Conceptualize and drive execution on the development of innovative AI / ML methodologies that integrate forward and reverse genomics to drastically improve the extraction of truly causal disease biology beyond what is possible with patient genomics alone.
- Integrate new models throughout target identification, patient stratification, biomarker strategy and translational science.
- Collaborate with other leaders across biology, chemistry, clinical development and data science to directly impact the quality and rate of advancement of our therapeutic pipeline.
Making one of our offices your home base – Salt Lake City, Toronto, or Montreal – is ideal, however we will consider remote work for this position. We ask that remote employees commit to regular on-site visits for routine work and departmental events.
What You’ll Need
- A deep dissatisfaction with the current technology available for converting human genetic data into new medicines.
- A successful candidate will be comfortable in the unknown, possess a desire to carry projects from start to finish, and showcase an excitement to instigate change.
- 7+ years applying expertise in computational biology to problems in functional and statistical genetics with high-dimensional ‘omics data, particularly aimed at problems in target identification and / or biomarker identification for patient stratification and response prediction.
- A strong understanding of modern ML techniques; able to lead and directly develop new modeling approaches
- An understanding of the overall processes and challenges in drug discovery
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area. Learn more at www.recursion.com, or connect on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.