Senior Functional Safety Engineer
Fox Robotics is at the bleeding edge of warehouse automation, with a focus on autonomous forklifts. As the leader in this space, Fox has clear product market fit and is scaling fast, with plans to double from ~100 employees to nearly 200 this year alone. With this growth, employees have a once-in-a-career opportunity to learn, all while working as part of a mission-driven team focused on making robots that work.
The Safety Engineer will be responsible for confirming that Fox products meet all applicable functional safety standards, regulations, and requirements to support commercial deployments in multiple international markets. The safety engineer will promote a culture of safety at the company and ensure that product safety requirements are captured and implemented during product development.
What you’ll do:
- Understand, promote and translate product requirements pertaining to the US and International standards for Functional Safety (e.g. ISO 13849, IEC 61508, Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, ISO 3691-4 etc.) and other related areas.
- Define safety requirements by facilitating product hazard and risk analysis, system-level FMEA analysis, and analysis of relevant safety standards.
- Perform fault tree/FMEDA analysis, and propose safety mitigations for our HW/SW integrated system
- Support development, evaluation and testing of safety relevant functions.
- Support specification and documentation of safety architecture at systems, hardware and software levels.
- Support the development of processes that comply with relevant functional safety norms
- Collaborate with concept and product development teams to integrate functional safety early in the design process
- Coordinate safety assessments with other external lab and certification authorities.
What you’ll need:
- 3+ years of product safety or comparable experience.
- BS in Mechanical, Electrical, Robotic Engineering, and/or at least an equivalent years’ relevant industry experience focused on engineering machine safety.
- Certified Functional Safety Professional or Certified Safety Specialist or Certified Machinery Safety Expert
- Demonstrated experience in the field of Functional Safety Engineering including experience conducting hazard analyses and knowledge of common functional safety standards for electronic and robotic systems
- Demonstrated ability to own an assignment and see it through to completion.
- Ability to travel when necessary (less than 10%)
- Authorization to work in the USA
Nice to have:
- Advanced degrees with professional engineering experience
- Experience with a range of domestic and nondomestic mechanical and electrical engineering requirements (e.g., Functional Safety, Machine Safety Machinery, Radio, EMC, , etc.).
- Experience defining safety concepts and requirements for sophisticated, autonomous robotic systems
- Experience with embedded system software development and verification
- Experience working with Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories
Benefits and perks:
- A once in a career opportunity to build, alongside colleagues who deeply care (plus robots that aren’t bad, either!)
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Generous healthcare options
- 401k match
- Unlimited PTO
- Other perks that connect us, including lunch on Fridays, team building activities, and more!
More About Fox Robotics
We make robots that work.
We envision a world where robots serve as a human multiplier for dull and dangerous work. The warehousing industry sees more than 52,000 cases of injuries every year in the US. Our first product is an automated trailer unloader (forklift) that quickly demonstrates measurable value to our customers by both improving efficiency while also increasing safety.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.