Senior Engineering Manager, Infrastructure
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to create more owners.
Carta is trusted by more than 30,000 companies and over half a million employees in nearly 150 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports over 5,000 funds representing over $100B in assets under administration with their venture capital solutions. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $13B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today Carta’s platform manages over two trillion dollars in equity for nearly two million people globally. Companies and funds like Canva, Tribe, and Pipe build their businesses on Carta.
The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S. and a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Team You’ll Work With
The Systems and Reliability Engineering team is responsible for the reliability, scalability and performance of Carta’s public cloud infrastructure.
We are Software and Site Reliability Engineers who specialize in cloud computing, networking, systems architecture and design, associated automation, tooling and processes. We possess a breadth and depth of knowledge about Carta’s infrastructure that translates into leverage for Carta’s business.
The Problems You’ll Solve
We believe that passion and belonging matter; as such, we welcome leaders who can lead diverse, thoughtful, and driven engineers while balancing day to day people management, moving the business forward both technically and culturally.
As a Senior Engineering Manager, here are some of the exciting problems to solve:
- Lead: Mentor, grow, and empower your team by building up the skills, confidence and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional growth, enabling them to become technical leaders.
- Ownership: Be responsible for the availability, scalability and reliability of Carta's cloud infrastructure (compute, networking, and communications platform).
- Partnership: Partner with both technical and non-technical leaders throughout the company to ensure that their infrastructure needs are met. Drive cross-team and cross-org alignment around reliability between product and platform infrastructure teams.
- Deliver results: Engineering managers build a culture of execution and will be the liaison between business, product, and engineering; help define metrics, processes, and practices to ensure the team is delivering significant business impact.
- Handle performance: Your team will need regular mentorship, advice and feedback to operate effectively. Contributing to this space along with your leadership team is part of effective management at Carta.
- Establish standard processes: Engineering managers are the last line of defense for quality control, standard methodologies, and effective design strategies. Helping the team (and peer teams) navigate these challenges is core to the problem space for managers.
- Assess technical risk: Your experience will be a major factor in empowering the team to isolate and reduce technical risk. You will help to fill blind spots for your engineers. Participate in deep technical design discussions within your team and across partner teams, ensuring that we are building the right systems and keeping the quality high.
We are looking for a technical and industry-experienced Senior Engineering Manager to join us in continually developing an enterprise-scale platform for all Carta products. You will act as a technical leader on all things related to the team’s domain architecture to help and empower engineers in making technical decisions. You will work closely with other Platform Infrastructure and Product teams to build and scale their services.
You are excited by the idea of developing scalable, reliable and efficient infrastructure that powers the entire company. Our stack is Python, Golang, Terraform, gRPC, Docker, Kubernetes running on AWS. Come join us!
Here is what we are looking for:
- Experience in successfully delivering large scale projects that include technical deep-dives and solving production issues in all or some of these areas: compute, networking, communications, storage, operating systems, and software engineering
- A consistent track record of leading, managing, coaching, and mentoring geographically distributed teams with passion for developing engineering careers
- Strong leadership skills and ability to empower teams
- Experience in building services and systems and have successfully taken projects from inception to production
- Deep understanding of Linux, AWS, Docker and Kubernetes
- Endorsement of infrastructure as a code and passion for software development and automation
- Proven experience working in an agile development environment
- Production experience with public cloud technologies
The Interview Process
Carta’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, exceptional benefits, and, for applicable roles, commissions plans. Our expected cash compensation (salary + commission if applicable) range for this role is:
- $255,200 - $319,000 in San Francisco, CA; Santa Clara, CA; or New York City, NY
- $229,680 - $287,100 in Seattle, WA
We are hiring for multiple levels and locations, so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on geography, experience and expertise, and other factors.