Operational Risk Manager
Bluevine is on a mission to enable a better financial future for small business owners through innovative banking solutions designed just for them. By combining best-in-class technology with advanced security and a deep understanding of the small business community, we deliver end-to-end banking and lending products that empower always-on entrepreneurs to grow their businesses with confidence.
As a dynamic company with massive potential, we’re backed by leading investors such as Lightspeed Venture Partners, Menlo Ventures, 83North, Citi Ventures, and nearly 9 years of proven success. Since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 400,000 customers across all 50 states and a global team of more than 500 people. Our passion is driven by purpose: to give small businesses the tools they need to succeed and we’re just getting started.
All of this begins with our team who are driven by collaboration, problem-solving, and learning and growing together. With a commitment to innovation and community impact, our mission is to help every small business—and every team member—thrive. Join us! #LI-Hybrid
Bluevine is seeking an experienced and proactive individual to join our team as an Operational Risk Manager. In this role, you'll be responsible for owning the operational risk function across DDA, lending, credit cards, as well as future products. You'll be responsible for identifying existing and future operational risks, documentation of the risks, and working with relevant internal and external stakeholders to mitigate the risks.
If you have a strong track record in operational risk management and are ready to make a significant impact, we encourage you to apply and become a key part of our team at Bluevine.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:.
- Consult with all relevant stakeholders on new products and changes to existing products to understand existing risks and prioritize the appropriate response.
- Responsible for monitoring and ensuring adherence to ORM risk policies and best practices, involving key stakeholders and Senior Management Committees.
- Own the oversight of the enterprise operational risk event reporting structure. Provide second-line coverage to ensure events are being reported correctly and that they are being resolved appropriately.
- Collaborates with subject matter experts and executive management to establish effective ORM governance.
- Develop an enterprise-wide RCSA framework which will be utilized to measure and prioritize risks within the firm’s operations.
- Development and standardization of operational risk reporting, inclusive of early detection of systemic issues and key risk indicators.
- This role will have oversight responsibilities of the FBO reconciliation between Bluevine, our partner bank, and our processor.
- In this role, you will be tasked with creating daily reporting to identify file delays for various types of money movement.
- Maintain ownership and oversight of non-balance sheet account reconciliation strategy and partner with back office operations to ensure accurate and complete daily reconciliation.
- Identifies opportunities for process improvements to enhance operational efficiency, while also providing ORM expertise and guidance in business project workstreams. Additionally, works with business units to improve risk management capabilities and minimize operational issues across the firm through risk assessments, recommendations, and education/training initiatives.
- Implement and execute ongoing operational issue identification, root cause analysis and assessment procedures, as assigned.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- 5+ years of applicable experience in a risk, finance, or analytics role in the financial industry.
- 3+ years of experience leading operational risk teams in financial services
- A strong understanding of operational risk and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage operational risk across an organization.
- Experience in setting up and maintaining operational risk framework across an organization. Inclusive of a demonstrated ability to manage operational risk events across multiple departments and teams.
- Experience using Excel, SQL, and dashboarding tools (Tableau, Looker, PowerBI) is a plus.
- A strong working knowledge of the US payment network including, but not limited to, ACH, RDC, Wire, Debit Card, and Debit Card.
- A demonstrated ability to influence many stakeholders and drive change throughout an organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to provide clear and concise updates to senior leaders.
- Bachelor’s degree (Economics / Mathematics / Business / STEM) or relevant work experience in a financial institution
- An understanding of banking regulations including Reg E, Reg CC, UDAAP, and Nacha requirements is a plus.
This is a hybrid role. At Bluevine, we pride ourselves on our collaborative culture, which we believe is best maintained through in-person interactions and a vibrant office environment. All of our offices have reopened following local guidelines, and are following a hybrid model. In-office days will be determined by location and discipline.
BENEFITS AND PERKS - for employees located in the US
- Excellent health coverage and life insurance benefits
- 401K with an immediate 3% company match
- PTO, Company Holidays, and Flexible Holidays
- Company-sponsored Mental Health Benefits, including 1:1 therapy
- Over $1,000 annually for a wellness benefit of your choice
- Monthly WFH stipend
- Generous, paid parental leave covering up to 16 weeks
- Access to financial coaches and education sessions
- Free commuter benefits - Caltrain passes for San Francisco employees and a monthly parking allowance
- Weekly catered lunches and fully stocked kitchen pantries
- Community-based volunteering opportunities