Customer Operations Associate
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
At Betterment, our Operations team thrives on efficiency and iteration. We are talented and eager to help our company operate more effectively and passionate to learn from our dynamic colleagues. There is no job too big or too small for us; we are focused, and we always strive for excellence.
You are a process-driven individual who loves checking items off your to-do list. You are always thinking of ways to make complicated tasks more efficient, while keeping a keen eye on the big picture. You have a knack for anticipating when a situation could be risky and quickly resolving it appropriately.
You are extremely detail-oriented with a passion for organization. You grasp complex topics quickly and are adept at thinking on your feet to solve problems in a creative and holistic manner. You are metrics-oriented in nature and use data to inform your decisions whenever possible. You are a strong communicator who enjoys interacting with other people to address any issue that comes your way. You are excited to support internal/external partners and play a crucial role in keeping our business growing and running smoothly. You are customer-focused and team-oriented.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $58,500 - $65,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits, FSA/HSA, and 401(k)with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy.
A day in the life
- Collaborate with Customer Experience and adjacent Operations teams to address inquiries involving account transfers, risk management, and onboarding for higher touch account types, such as LLCs, Trusts, and Estates
- Interact directly with customers to resolve complex cases requiring expert knowledge of how money moves into and throughout the Betterment system
- Partner with the Customer Experience team on workflow optimization to provide a unified customer experience by collaborating across Slack, Asana, and Zendesk
- Drive daily operations, including processing account transactions and applications, monitoring risk across the business, fielding third-party requests, and reviewing legal documentation
- Identify and suggest improvements to operational processes that make servicing customer requests, and the overall business, more efficient and scalable
- Troubleshoot operational issues, investigate root causes, and collaborate with the engineering team to deploy fixes
- Partner with colleagues both internally and across the organization to drive projects through to completion
What we’re looking for
- Prior experience at a financial institution or fintech environment, preferably in operations, customer success, finance, investing, compliance, or business administration
- Detail-oriented mindset and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to learn quickly and problem solve on the fly with little guidance
- Strong, concise written and verbal communication skills
- Good intuition and ability to assess unclear situations with limited information, with an eye to always doing what’s best for our customers
- Proficiency in Excel/Google Sheets, with experience in data analysis
- 1-2 years customer-facing and/or project management experience preferred, though not required
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY
For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.