Sr. Director, B2B Client Experience
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
Betterment at Work is looking for an experienced client-facing leader who will manage our post-sales teams dedicated to onboarding, retaining and driving revenue growth from existing clients.
The Betterment at Work Senior Director, B2B Client Experience will be responsible for managing a group of managers across multiple client-impacting disciplines. They will also drive cross-functional initiatives with key partners (e.g. sales, product, and marketing) to achieve business objectives.
We are looking for someone with high growth experience building and evolving a post-sales organization with a mostly SMB client base. In this role you are expected to lead change management and uphold SLAs, KPIs and revenue performance. The ideal candidate will effectively liaise with stakeholders at all levels, with the ability to appropriately represent and prioritize the needs of our clients.
The Senior Director, B2B Client Experience will report to the General Manager, Betterment at Work, serving as the primary owner for all revenue and KPI management across implementation, client success, support and operational teams. This individual will be measured on retention and expansion of a growing book of business as well as the growth and development of their team.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $210,000 - $230,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Own the end-to-end post-sale teams across implementation, operations and client support
- Craft the go-forward strategy for post-sale teams including metrics, resource allocation, processes, and technology
- Lead partnership with cross-functional teams to plan and scale the business to achieve ambitious growth targets
- Implement and own upsell strategy for all existing clients, anchored on multi-product adoption
- Unblock and resolve issues that impact the team’s ability to hit goals by collaborating with cross-functional leadership and optimizing processes
- Thoroughly understand our clients’ challenges and advocate for resources, roadmap evolution and process changes needed to best serve them
- Coordinate with technical teams to successfully prioritize and execute on our product roadmap
- Guide and manage different and unique career development tracks within the Client Services organization
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years of leadership experience in a Director of Client Experience, Sr. Director of Client Experience, or equivalent role
- 10+ years on client-facing teams in B2B / SaaS industry
- Demonstrated ability to lead a customer-facing team to exceed performance goals — strong people management, coaching, and development experience
- Experience in managing SMB and Mid-Market clients, with a focus on retention and upsell
- History of improving processes, methodologies, programs or frameworks that increased team performance
- Confidence in presenting strategy, insights, financial/non-financial achievements, and quarterly progress updates to senior stakeholders in a compelling manner
- Experience in Zendesk and Salesforce required, Hubspot a plus
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY
For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
Something looks off?