Software Engineer, Customer Engineering
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Our engineering team is comprised of the Applications Team, the Platform Team, and the Customer Engineering Team. The Customer Engineering Team works closely with scientists to develop extensions to Benchling that integrate customers’ scientific workflows and IT systems. See an example of a recent project on our website that describes how we automated DNA assembly to improve efficiency and reduce cost.
- Collaborate directly with customers to understand complex scientific workflows and implement product integrations.
- Own projects end-to-end, from initial design to production rollout.
- Strengthen Benchling’s APIs and developer platform by leveraging the latest features and acting as the voice of the customer to other teams within engineering.
- Contribute to continuous improvement of the Customer Engineering team’s tooling and best practices, including being hands-on with our testing frameworks and CI/CD systems.
- Help scale our product and team. As a member of the engineering team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our engineering processes and hiring.
Check out our engineering blog for some examples of what we work on at Benchling. Here are some other examples of Customer Engineering projects:
- Tools to assist with DNA assembly - scientists need to plan which DNA entities should be combined to express a particular protein. They want to automate searching for the possible components of this assembly given desired ratios and what materials are available in inventory.
- Chemistry tools - we have focused primarily on biology and biotech for the last 5 years, but are just starting new initiatives to expand our tools to support chemists as well. This involves integrating external chemistry tools with Benchling, and is an opportunity to serve a new type of customer and scientific use case..
- Robot and instrument integration - scientists are increasingly using automated hardware in the lab to perform measurements. By integrating Benchling with machines like liquid handlers, we are working towards a world where a scientist can perform a physical experiment entirely using software.
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering
- A customer-first approach to building software
- Familiarity with Python and AWS
- Strong abilities in problem solving and iterating on feedback
- Desire to own projects and care about the real world impact of your code
- Interest in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must)
- Willing to work onsite in our Boston office 3 days a week.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is:
ZONE 1: $157,250 - $212,750
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous and flexible vacation
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
#LI-GP1 #LI-Hybrid #BI-Hybrid
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
Something looks off?