Data Science and Analytics, Trust and Safety
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2023
As one of the early members of our Trust and Safety, Data Analytics team, you will play an instrumental role in accelerating our company’s mission of building safe and beneficial artificial intelligence. In this unique company, technology, and moment in history, your work will be critical in detecting, quantifying and mitigating abuse of our models and enabling Anthropic to deploy frontier AI safely and at scale to the world.
You will work closely with product, engineering, research, and policy leaders to measure abuse and scale our Trust and Safety defenses. You’ll craft metrics and dashboards that our teams will use to report on the safety of the platform, help develop and launch abuse and fraud detection models. You’ve worked in cultures of excellence in the past, and are eager to apply that experience to building robust and scalable Trust and Safety systems as our company goes through a phase of rapid growth.
Anthropic’s mission is to create reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our users and for society as a whole. Our team is a quickly growing group of committed researchers, engineers, policy experts, and business leaders working together to build beneficial AI systems.
- Analyze large and complex data sets to detect abuse volumes and patterns and convert them into insights and trends
- Build statistically sound metrics to measure abuse and develop insights at scale
- Convert insights to actionable outcomes that reduce abuse
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams to set up data infrastructure that scales with Anthropic’s growth
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have a passion for the company's mission of building helpful, honest, and harmless AI
- Have 5+ years of experience on a high-performing analytics or data science teams
- Expert in SQL and proficient in Python / R and data visualization tools
- Proficient in statistical methods for building metrics that are robust and actionable
- Deep knowledge of abuse signals, anomaly detection, clustering methods for abuse detection
- Demonstrate bias for action and urgency, not letting perfect be the enemy of the effective
- Have a deep curiosity and energy for pulling the thread on hard questions
- Have highly effective written communication and presentation skills
Annual Salary (USD)
- The expected salary range for this position is $200k-$280k
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills. We're trying to build a core of knowledge and intuition about the most robustly effective innovations in AI, and so thoroughly-documented null results are almost as valuable as positive discoveries. We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us!
Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.