Trust & Safety Threat Investigator
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2023
Anthropic’s mission is to create reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole.
As a threat investigator on the Trust and Safety team, you will be responsible for developing novel detection techniques to discover and mitigate abuse of Anthropic’s products and services. Through a combination of trends analysis, data visualization and studying individual policy abuse and enforcement cases, you will generate system-level insights into emerging types of harms and identify malicious actors. You’ll work closely with our product and engineering team to build scalable enforcement mechanisms and identify abusive behavior as our services expand in use and capability.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
- Analyze the deployment of our products and services and identify how these systems are being misused or abused
- Study trends internally and in the broader ecosystem to anticipate how systems could be misused or manipulated for harm in the future
- Work with engineering to build tools and levers to stop current and prevent future forms of abuse.
- Identify new types of policy violations, emerging risks and threat vectors related to the use of our products and services
- Conduct deep dives into categories of harmful behavior to strengthen our understanding and defenses
- Keep abreast of the the latest industry risks, vulnerabilities and issues related to the use of language models and generative AI; identify opportunities for improvement to our policies, controls and enforcement mechanisms
- Draft and implement new detection and response processes
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have experience building automated detection systems, prompt engineering or enforcement mechanisms.
- Familiarity with abusive user behavior detection is a plus
- You know how to derive insights from large amounts of data to make key decisions and recommendations.
- Have experience on a trust and safety team and/or have worked closely with policy or content moderation
- Love to think creatively about how to use technology in a way that is safe and beneficial, and ultimately furthers the goal of advancing safe AI systems
Annual Salary (USD)
- The expected salary range for this position is $200k-$280k.
Hybrid policy US visa sponsorship: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time. We do sponsor visas! However, we aren't able to successfully sponsor visas for every role and every candidate; operations roles are especially difficult to support. But if we make you an offer, we will make every effort to get you into the United States, and we retain an immigration lawyer to help with this.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity -On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Company-wide hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time. However, different roles may have different requirements - if this role has a different preference, it will be noted above.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Come work with us! Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.
See more open positions at Anthropic
Something looks off?