Product Design Manager
Abnormal Security is looking for a high-ownership Design Manager to drive major projects as an IC and to lead our small but growing Design team as a manager. At Abnormal, we keep our customers—ranging from Global 2000 organizations to small businesses—safe from complex and cutting-edge attacks that have the potential to cause financial loss and disrupt business operations. Our novel approach to email security, account takeover detection, and other use cases has resulted in us becoming one of the fastest-growing security companies of all time.
Design work plays a critical role in Abnormal’s ability to deliver high-quality product experiences to customers, serving as a core component for critical business workstreams—from the development of new products to the enablement of self-service, customer-driven user flows across the buyer journey. As we scale our team rapidly in the coming months, we need an experienced designer capable of driving forward some of these workstreams in addition to a trusted leader who can build and support the design function at Abnormal.
As part of this role, you will work closely with stakeholders across R&D, including the exec team. In addition, you will develop the foundational operating system for how Design works at Abnormal and in conjunction with the rest of R&D, which will create the right degree of structure for all current and future designers at the company.
What you will do
- Drive IC design work for 1+ product surface areas
- Serve as the lead designer for these domains and drive execution
- Collaborate with PM/Eng counterparts within your standing team(s)
- Develop the Design function at Abnormal
- Lead, develop, and retain existing team members
- Build Org Plan based on roadmap and assessment of team needs
- Recruit and onboard new hires to the team
- Set the standards for performance management and enablement to make the team successful
- Introduce the core systems and processes that govern how the Design team works
- Revamp our design process and system along with the team
- Establish the right standing meetings for the design team
- Introduce mechanisms to structure project intake, planning, execution, etc.
- Work with R&D leadership to align this “Design OS” with broader planning efforts across Eng, PM, and TPM
- Establish the Design culture at Abnormal
- Foster an environment of excellence and collaboration within the team
- Build a working environment that generates the best work from the team, while leading to high satisfaction
- 5+ years of IC Design experience, with 2+ years being at an Enterprise SaaS business
- 2+ years in a leadership/management role overseeing multiple designers
- Prior experience building out processes to better structure the work of design teams
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to interface effectively with colleagues and stakeholders
- High operational excellence and ownership in all work that is undertaken
- Adaptability, and willingness to learn quickly in a high paced startup environment
Nice to Have
- Prior startup experience
- Prior experience working on technical products
At Abnormal Security certain roles are eligible for a bonus, restricted stock units (RSUs), and benefits. Individual compensation packages are based on factors unique to each candidate, including their skills, experience, qualifications and other job-related reasons. We know that benefits are also an important piece of your total compensation package. Learn more about our Compensation and Equity Philosophy on our Benefits & Perks page.