Powertrain Engineering Intern
Whisper Aero, a leader in air propulsion technology, focuses on delivering cleaner, quieter, and more efficient thrust solutions. Our team, with over a decade of experience in electric propulsion, includes experts from NASA, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and other industry giants. We pride ourselves on a culture of ambition, creativity, and teamwork, constantly seeking innovative minds ready to challenge norms and drive progress in our field.
About the Role
As a Powertrain Engineering Intern, you will have the unique opportunity to work alongside our team of experts in the field of quiet electric propulsion. This internship is designed to provide hands-on experience and exposure to various aspects of powertrain engineering.
What You’ll Do
- Research and acquire COTS motors and controllers to integrate into propulsor prototypes
- Design and optimize electric motors for weight and efficiency
- Design dyno testing fixtures and perform dyno testing to characterize the powertrain system across the propulsor duty cycle
- Analyze the dyno test data and produce reports
- Prepare and conduct design reviews
- US Person Status
- Currently pursuing a degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or a related field.
- Strong interest in sustainable aviation technology, regional air mobility, and quiet propulsion systems.
- Strong understanding of AC electric motors, basic control algorithms, and testing methods
- Proficiency with one or more discipline-specific software: Python, C/C++, LabView, EAGLE or Altium, Arduino, ANSYS Maxwell
- Experience in rapid prototyping, designing to take full advantage of 3D printing tools
- Drone or model aircraft experience
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop system development
- Experience designing electromechanical assemblies
- Top-tier Benefits: 100% paid Medical, dental, and vision for employees, 75% paid for dependents
- PTO & Federal Holidays: Starting at four weeks of paid time off for vacation, sick, and personal days
- Competitive Salary: Value-based compensation, plus enjoy Tennessee’s no-income-tax life
- End of Year Bonuses: For eligible employees
- Paid Lunches: Lunches MWF + drinks and snacks to keep you going throughout the day
- Relocation Assistance
- Professional Development Stipend
Whisper Aero is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Whisper Aero also participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each applicant's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.