Director, Facilities and EH&S Operations
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, June 6, 2023
Synthego is seeking a dynamic and experienced Director of Facilities and EH&S Operations to join our team and lead our efforts in maintaining a safe, efficient, and sustainable work environment. The Director will be responsible for maintaining multiple buildings, standardizing maintenance protocols, and supporting the successful growth of the organization. The ideal candidate has experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and supporting the needs of multiple stakeholders with projects ranging from standard maintenance to full site construction.
What You'll Do
- As the Director of Facilities and EH&S (Environmental Health and Safety) Operations, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of facilities management and EH&S compliance within our organization. You will play a critical role in ensuring that our facilities are well-maintained, safe, and environmentally responsible.
- Develop and implement strategic plans for facilities management and EH&S operations in alignment with the company's overall goals and objectives.
- Oversee the maintenance, repair, and renovation of company facilities, including offices, production facilities, and warehouses.
- Manage budgets and resources for facilities management, including vendor relationships and contracts.
- Ensure the efficient operation of all building systems, including HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems.
- Implement sustainability initiatives to reduce the company's environmental footprint.
- Will be responsible for the effective 24/7 uninterrupted support of facilities operational activities and security.
- Provide overall directions and set priorities for the site improvement projects and activities.
- Oversee the management of preventative maintenance programs to include the ongoing maintenance and repair of buildings, grounds, and equipment.
- Develop, implement, and manage EH&S programs and policies to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Conduct regular safety audits and inspections, identifying and mitigating potential hazards.
- Train employees on EH&S protocols and ensure a culture of safety throughout the organization.
- Investigate and report on workplace incidents and implement corrective actions as needed.
- Maintain facilities compliance with local, county, state, and federal regulations.
- Lead and mentor a team of facilities and EH&S professionals, fostering a collaborative and high-performance work environment.
- Provide guidance and support for professional development and growth within the department.
- Collaborate with external vendors, contractors, and service providers to ensure timely and cost-effective facilities management services.
- Negotiate contracts and manage vendor relationships to achieve optimal service levels.
- Evaluate and prioritizes new upcoming facilities projects by creating budgets and timelines to meet company goals.
- Negotiates new lease agreements with current and potential building ownership/management.
- Develop and manage budgets for facilities and EH&S operations, tracking expenditures and ensuring cost-effectiveness.
Vendor and Contractor Management:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Science, Electrical, Electronics or Mechanical is preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in operations and/or laboratory/facilities management/EH&S in Biotech and Pharmaceutical industry.
- 3 to 5 years prior personnel management experience required.
- Experience working with appropriate government agencies for permitting and approval of complex projects required.
- Prior vendor management and superior negotiation skills.
- Advanced cross-functional collaboration and effective business partnering capabilities with a proven ability to influence.
- Strong facility-related (e.g. mechanical, electrical) assessment and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience providing efficient, timely, reliable and courteous service to customers.
- Requires experience in supervising contractors and vendors.
- Proficient knowledge of AutoCAD, Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, and general working knowledge of Internet for business use.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Proven experience in strategic planning and budget management.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departments and levels of the organization.
Company Perks & Benefits
- Generous equity
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k Program
- Subsidized catered lunches and dinners with fully stocked kitchen & snacks
- Onsite Gym
- Daily Shuttle bus to & from San Francisco
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Synthego is a genome engineering company that enables the acceleration of life science research and development in the pursuit of improved human health.
The company leverages machine learning, automation, and gene editing to build platforms for science at scale. With its foundations in engineering disciplines, the company’s platforms vertically integrate proprietary hardware, software, bioinformatics, chemistries, and molecular biology to advance basic research, target validation, and clinical trials.
By providing both commercial and academic researchers and therapeutic developers with unprecedented access to cutting-edge genome engineering, Synthego is at the forefront of innovation, accelerating the development of truly engineered biology.