As a member of the ShipBob Team, you will benefit from an environment where everything is achievable. We aim to be a place where you can:
- Write Your Career Story. Because we are solving some of the most difficult problems in global commerce, you have the opportunity to write the story that will make your career.
- Experience Global Impact and Global Connection. At ShipBob we benefit from diverse cultures and perspectives in service of the global community.
- Grow With An Ownership Mindset. We believe that great innovation comes from great transparency. We are more resilient and more creative when we have an inclusive and transparent culture where everyone knows our strengths and opportunities.
Title: Product Counsel or Senior Product Counsel
Location: Remote in these states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, KS, KY, IA, ID, IL, IN, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA, WI
We are hiring a Product Counsel who is responsible for working closely with Product and Engineering teams to ensure our products are aligned with legal and compliance obligations around the world. This includes areas such as privacy, data security, import/export regulations, shipping safety and reliability commitments, and a wide range of other law in all the large and growing number of countries in which we operate.
What you’ll do:
- Working closely with Product and Engineering teams from inception through launch, and advising on, and supporting implementations in compliance with, applicable laws, regulations, and contraction commitments.
- Enabling product success by finding practical solutions to legal and compliance challenges, rather than unhelpful conclusions.
- Hiring and efficiently managing outside counsel, and translating outside counsel advice into practical product solutions.
- Navigating complex and potentially conflicting obligations, providing balanced risk assessments, and advising stakeholders and leaders on legal and compliance risks.
- Supporting and/or managing other projects with the ShipBob legal team as they arise.
- Communicating with the team’s internal business clients in support of all of the above.
- Other duties/responsibilities as necessary.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- JD from ABA approved school and state bar admission.
- 8+ years of practical experience, ideally with a mix of law firm and inhouse product counsel experience.
- Deep knowledge of applicable areas of law and regulatory compliance, including commercial, UCC Art 2, IP, competition, international trade, import/export controls, and privacy (including GDPR and CCPA).
- Experience advising product and engineering teams, as well as executives, on legal and compliance matters.
- Excellent judgment and experience navigating complex legal and compliance landscapes.
- High attention to detail and advanced organizational skills, with the ability to perform multiple functions simultaneously in an environment with deadlines and minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Keen observation skills, a willingness to pitch in and a proactive approach to solving problems. This means you have a hunger to learn, are resourceful, are a great team player and are genuinely curious about the way things work.
- A can-do positive attitude, with a great sense of humor and the ability to thrive on change.
- Experience working with cross functional teams from legal to sales, engineering to finance to marketing and beyond.
- Technical degree and/or experience within the logistics industry would be a plus.
Reports to: General Counsel
Perks & Benefits:
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Basic Life Insurance
- Paid Maternity/Parental Leave Program
- Flexible Time Off Program
- Paid Sick Leave and Paid Emergency Leave
- Floating Holidays (2 days/year)
- Wellness Days (1 day/quarter)
- 401K Match
- Competitive Salary, Performance Bonus & Equity
- Variety of voluntary benefits, such as, short term disability
- Referral Bonus Program
- Fun Culture >>> Check us out on Instagram (@lifeatshipbob)
ShipBob believes in transparency while providing a competitive total compensation package with a pay for performance approach. The expected base pay range for this position is $170-285K.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
At ShipBob, we’re looking to bring on board people who embody our core values:
- Be Mission-Driven. We want team members that are passionate about helping entrepreneurs improve their business, and bring that passion every day.
- Be Humble. We have ambitious goals, and our team members understand that success or failure depends on us working together and leaving egos at the door.
- Be Resilient. Logistics is a complicated business. So is software. We value team members that never give up and keep iterating until a problem is solved.
- Be a Creative Problem Solver. As a startup, we value smart, innovative solutions to complex problems. We fall in love with the problem, not our “favorite” solution.
- Be Safety Minded. It’s not just talk; it’s the way you work.
ShipBob is a cloud-based logistics platform that partners with thousands of e-commerce businesses to help make their entrepreneurial dreams a reality. We offer a full suite of fulfillment solutions for our merchants, including the ability to improve their transit times, shipping costs and deliver a best in class experience to their customers.
As one of the fastest growing tech companies in Chicago backed by blue-chip investors like Menlo Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, Hyde Park Venture Partners and SoftBank Vision Fund 2, our goal is to continue to be the best fulfillment technology in the industry.
ShipBob provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.