Senior Technical Writer
Everlaw is looking for a Senior Technical Writer that is passionate about user understanding, enjoys translating technical concepts into clear and concise documentation, and has excellent communication skills. In this role, you will create, organize, and maintain high-quality and comprehensive product documentation that supports both customers and internal stakeholders in understanding and utilizing our products effectively. Everlaw’s Product documentation often takes the form of long-form articles and videos, but also includes UI copy and in-platform learning workflow guides (ex: Walk-Me guides).
As the first Product team member in this role, you will play a pivotal role in defining and developing our documentation vision and strategy. You will collaborate with the broader Product Team to put into place documentation processes and standards that increase efficiency, consistency, and effectiveness while maintaining quality. In addition, you will work closely with Product leadership to build out a roadmap for documentation initiatives, supporting the prioritization of projects across our Knowledge Base and in-platform learning resources (UI tooltips, video library, Walk-Me, etc.)
Your expertise in technical writing and information organization will be crucial in supporting team delivery of engaging and comprehensive documentation and in-platform learning. You will collaborate with feature teams (engineers, product leads, product designers) to develop a deep understanding of our products, users, and user workflows. You will provide coaching and guidance to feature teams on effectively communicating complex information to support and drive the evolution of our documentation processes and standards.
This is a full-time, exempt position located onsite in Oakland, California.
- We want you to feel like part of the team early on! Our onboarding process will integrate you into the Product Team with informative sessions on our product, policies, processes, and team structure and goals.
- We’re excited for you to learn, grow, and contribute right away! We trust that you’ll bring experience and knowledge that will uplift and uplevel the team, but we don’t expect you to know everything on Day 1.
In your role, you'll...
- Be the primary point of contact for Product Knowledge Base related initiatives and drive progress against key documentation performance metrics.
- Collaborate closely with feature teams to deliver product documentation that is customer-focused and effectively communicates complex concepts to our end users.
- Provide coaching and strategic feedback on documentation scope, organization, and copy to feature teams.
- Organize and structure content effectively, ensuring consistency and clarity in documentation style, grammar, and terminology, following established guidelines.
- Be responsible for organizing and structuring information within the Knowledge Base, implementing a logical and intuitive navigation experience for end users. Gather user analytics on use.
- Provide strategic input on existing documentation. Gauge its helpfulness to inform improvements in its form and delivery.
- Evaluate existing documentation and gather feedback from stakeholders and end users to prioritize improvements to product documentation and in-platform learning resources based on user needs.
- Stay up to date with industry trends, best practices, and technological advances to enhance the quality and relevance of our documentation
- You have 4+ years of experience taking complex topics and transforming them into easy-to-understand documentation (product documentation, in-platform UI text, learning resources, videos, infographic, etc.)
- You can point to samples of your work or a portfolio showcasing previous technical writing work or relevant writing samples.
- You have strong proficiency in the English language, with exceptional writing and copy editing skills.
- You have a strategic mind and enjoy thinking about structures and processes that are scalable for an evolving product and audience. You can point to processes you have built in previous roles.
- You have experience managing product documentation hubs.
- You enjoy balancing project ownership with collaboration.
- You have experience working with cross-functional teams and an ability to effectively manage multiple stakeholders.
- You are quality-, process-, and detail-oriented: You’re highly organized and understand the importance of prioritization.
- You excel at written and verbal communication. You are comfortable delivering and receiving constructive, solution-oriented feedback.
- You are authorized to work in the United States; please note that at this time, Everlaw is not sponsoring visas for any positions.
- Experience writing for on-platform SaaS.
- Familiarity with version control systems and collaborative writing platforms.
- You have experience working in the legal field or have a legal degree.
- You have experience with data analysis platforms.
- The expected salary range for this role is between $120,000 - $150,000. The final offered salary will be dependent upon many factors including the candidate’s experience and skills. The base pay range is subject to change in the future.
- Substantial equity
- 401k with company matching
- Health, dental, and vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care expenses
- Paid parental leave and sick leave
- Seventeen paid vacation days plus ten bankable federal holidays
- Four “Everlawlidays” that are designated days off for the whole company
- Annual allocation for Learning & Development opportunities and applicable professional membership dues
- Company-sponsored life and disability insurance
- Work in Uptown Oakland, just steps from the BART line and dozens of restaurants and walking distance to Lake Merritt
- Flexible work-from-home days on Tuesdays and Fridays
- Monthly home internet reimbursement
- Enjoy a wide variety of snacks and beverages in the office
- Bond over company-wide out-of-the-box events and fun activities with your team
- Time off for company-sponsored volunteer events and 4 paid hours per quarter to volunteer at a charitable organization of your choice
- Take advantage of learning and career development opportunities
- Ranked #9 on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2023 for US small and medium companies
- One of Wealthfront’s 2021 Career Launching Companies, and ranked #2 on the “2022 Bay Area Best Places to Work” list by the San Francisco Business Times and the Silicon Valley Business Journal
- One of Fast Company’s World's Most Innovative Companies for 2022 and proud contributor of free ediscovery resources to benefit the greater good through “Everlaw for Good”