Sr. FP&A Associate
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
The Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team is responsible for facilitating corporate-level decision-making at Betterment, guiding company-wide financial planning, and scaling new and existing financial processes. They maintain the company’s operating model, provide forward-looking analysis across the organization to support business outcomes, and analyze capital allocation decisions. This role will play a critical role in a tight-knit team that is an integral part of the organization. This group is a trusted advisor to business leaders to plan and project for the future but nimble when it comes to the conditions changing.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $100,000-$120,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Lead key strategic projects utilizing your expertise in financial modeling and comprehension to provide insights, recommendations, and projections to senior management.
- Work as a true partner to departmental leaders, working directly with them to understand their financial needs and translate that into actionable recommendations.
- Drive and shape the organization-wide planning process, working collaboratively with the broader finance team to develop and refine our financial and strategic targets.
- Work cross functionally to understand and communicate results against plan, including monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting.
- Collaborate with analytics and data teams to transform metrics and data into insights, helping develop new metrics and definitions as needed.
- Anticipate the future needs of the FP&A team, and assist in the development and maintenance of best in class new tools, processes, and applications.
What we’re looking for
- Industry experience with budgeting / planning, financial modeling, and decision analytics (e.g. FP&A, corporate finance, investment banking, private equity).
- Experience serving as a business partner to cross-functional and senior business partners, managing large amounts of data and tight deadlines.
- Experience in building insights from scratch including sourcing, transforming, and presenting complex financial data.
- A history of collaboration having worked across a wider team to develop insights and reports.
- Driven self-starter who enjoys rolling up their sleeves and building complex financial models in Excel or similar tools.
- A knack for taking raw data, analyzing, drawing conclusions, and developing actionable recommendations.
- Undergraduate degree in finance / economics / accounting / mathematics preferred.
- Experience in working with Netsuite, SQL, or Looker a plus.
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY
We collect and store personal information for the purposes of candidate tracking (for this role and future opportunities). The information you provide in the course of completing your application will be kept for up to 24 months. We use tools provided by third-party service providers but do not share candidate information for any purpose other than for recruiting. To access the data that is collected, request deletion or to make updates to your candidate profile, please email [email protected].