Sr. Full Stack Software Engineer - Product Engineering
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
The Product Engineering teams at Betterment build the applications our customers use when they are logged in to their Betterment accounts. We are looking for Senior Full Stack Engineers to join us in furthering our mission to make people’s lives better by providing delightful experiences that have been Betterment’s hallmark since inception.
Our software guides customers through the most important life events in their financial journey. Whether it’s saving to buy a house or planning for retirement, hundreds of thousands of people rely on us to invest and save their money. If you are passionate about financial wellness and are driven to solve complex problems that make saving and investing simple, this role is for you.
As a Senior Full-Stack Engineer, you’ll work collaboratively with our Mobile, Product, and Design functions to guide and delight our customers on their financial journey.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below, we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $165,000 - $180,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus. For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
A day in the life
- Lead medium-to-large scale initiatives, partnering with teammates and adhering to software development best practices in order to ship high quality software continuously and iteratively.
- Collaborate with our Product & Design teams to build delightful experiences that help our customers save and invest.
- Balance innovation with the need to maintain application performance and security.
- Maintain a high bar of excellence in your work quality, setting an example for and mentoring less experienced Engineers to do the same.
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time and money. We maintain it through clean code, rigorous testing and pragmatic programming
- Collaborate with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented Engineers and figure out how to make Betterment’s software better.
- Contribute to an environment of open communication, where engineers feel empowered to share ideas and take initiative to solve problems that contribute to achieving company objectives.
What we’re looking for
- Strong experience in object-oriented programming; Ruby on Rails is preferred. Experience with Java, Python, C#, or Node.js is welcomed.
- Proficiency in building frontend applications using React.js or a similar framework
- Experience building APIs using GraphQL.
- Proficiency with relational databases, including designing schemas and writing detailed SQL queries.
- A strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures.
- Proven ability to lead and manage projects that span one or more teams, considering tradeoffs to ensuring on-time delivery while maintaining high standards of quality, performance and security.
- Passion for building delightful front end interfaces and components.
- Passion for ongoing learning and knowledge-sharing.
- Adept at approaching complex engineering challenges with innovative and unconventional solutions.
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY