Sr. Payroll Services Associate
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
As a Sr. Payroll Services Associate you will be responsible for ensuring our clients have a successful and timely experience when facilitating data flows between their payroll provider and Betterment. You will serve as a guide and a resource for clients who process their payrolls and 401(k) deductions manually. For certain key client relationships, you will concierge the experience by transferring payroll data between the payroll provider and the Betterment 401(k) system.
This role partners closely with internal teams such as Client Experience, Compliance, and Onboarding. The ideal candidate has strong client-facing, payroll subject matter, problem-solving, and Excel skills.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $90,000 - $100,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus. For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
A day in the life
- Be the main point of contact for clients. Responsible for helping them manually upload their payroll details into Betterment
- Work diligently to keep the client’s manual payroll processing timely and accurate thus assisting with their Onboarding remaining on track
- For key clients, access their payroll provider’s platform, pull payroll reports, format and import them for Betterment 401(k) ingestion
- Develop an in-depth understanding of payroll provider systems and audit incoming payroll data for accuracy and completeness
- Use effective problem-solving and decision-making skills to navigate issues which impact the flow of data between systems
- Accurately evaluate data discrepancies and work independently to make appropriate adjustments, with the understanding that they impact our client’s payroll and their employees’ paychecks
- Independently guide clients through data analysis and assist with their data transmission efforts
- Communicate professionally to both internal and external stakeholders while focusing on needs-driven solutions
What we’re looking for
- 4+ years of experience with payroll software and payroll processing
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Ability to influence stakeholders with competing priorities to focus on bringing critical projects to completion
- Exhibits true ownership and ensures results are achieved. Strives for measurable, high-quality and timely results
- Aptitude for learning, creating, and iterating rapidly
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to build rapport - you will speak with our clients through email and over the phone
- Experience working with retirement plans or payroll providers, and a general understanding of the laws and regulations which govern the industry
- Experience working with CRM and project management systems (For example: Zendesk, Salesforce, Asana, etc.)
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY