Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
As an Engineering Manager in Betterment's internal and platform engineering organization, you’ll collaborate closely with product engineering teams and cross-functional stakeholders to develop a mission-aligned roadmap and manage its execution with your team. You’ll also partner with engineers on your team and beyond to identify and advocate for work that will allow our engineers to continue executing at a high level. You’ll play a crucial role in balancing delivery of new capabilities alongside system stability and scale, all while helping mentor and grow a team of amazing engineers.
Platform engineering teams empower and enable domain-oriented teams through a depth of experience in architecting software systems and driving the engineering standards of the organization. They influence and shape a technical future that’s qualitatively better than our status quo. Platform engineering teams work closely with product teams to deliver cross-cutting capabilities, infrastructure and tooling to enable our product teams to deliver value to Betterment's customers and clients. They are able to identify and work on projects and efforts that have strategic value for the company while driving technical design and up-leveling the engineering organization. Members of this team have a love for solving interesting technical challenges and influencing organizational decisions that move the business forward. You’ll be a part of a team that’s tackling difficult questions of scale, architecture, and interaction.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $150,000 - $170,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus. For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
A day in the life
- Contribute to the development of frameworks, tools, and development and testing infrastructure that enable our engineering teams to run faster and build better.
- Lead a team of 4 engineers on Betterment's senior-leaning Frontend Platform team as an effective player-coach.
- Manage the career trajectories of the engineers on your team, as well as team outcomes, productivity, and morale.
- Maintain a team culture that fosters accountability, values constructive feedback, and celebrates wins.
- Build and maintain strong lines of communication to understand and deeply support the needs of the engineering teams building products across all business lines and divisions of Betterment.
- Inspire and maintain a strong, equitable engineering culture founded on transparency, inclusivity, mentorship, and collaboration.
- Continuously improve how your team operates and seek out ways to meet the near and long-term strategic needs of our complex organization.
What we’re looking for
- Additional experience with GraphQL or Ruby on Rails is even better.
- Experience with hands-on managing, mentoring, and inspiring a team of talented engineers, including senior and staff engineers.
- Experience leading execution of large team projects and execution of smaller concurrent projects in partnership with senior engineers.
- A passion for software engineering and improving the developer experience.
- An effective collaborator capable of working with other engineering teams, product managers, subject matter experts, and non-technical stakeholders to build and ship high quality software.
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY