Sr. Product Manager - Growth
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
Growth product managers at Betterment play a specialized product management role building best-in-class user acquisition and activation experiences while serving as a critical bridge between Marketing and feature development teams. Our mission at Betterment is making people’s lives better, and Growth PMs do this by expanding how many people we reach, streamlining our onboarding funnel, and enabling internal teams to engage users on their journey. In this practice of product management, we strive to experiment, take calculated risks, and steer our broader product toward growth, and we do this across our three business lines.
As a growth PM, your ongoing task will be to collaboratively identify a roadmap of feasible bets that will have a strong likelihood of growing Betterment’s revenue base. You’ll also be the entrepreneurial “glue” between engineering, design, analytics, and legal/compliance, working to deliver key initiatives with executional excellence.
This role is highly collaborative with the expectation to build genuine relationships throughout many teams while not being able to please any one party all the time. You’ll need experience in similar situations, but more importantly, you should have the capacity to enjoy this work.
Perhaps more important than any other attribute of this role, growing Betterment is tied to our identity as a regulated financial advisor and a digital-first entity. Experience driving growth under a weighty financial compliance regime could give you a leg up, because of how much it informs our work.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $135,000-$150,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus. For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
A day in the life
- While grounded in product management, participation as part of both the Marketing and Product teams is expected, working closely with our directors of CRM and Acquisition.
- Prioritize your roadmap using a method that’s defensible in terms of ROI and maximizing output, while continually communicating the “why” for your decisions.
- Marry quantitative and qualitative data to make roadmap prioritization calls, inclusive of internal narratives and broader Betterment initiatives.
- Actively gather feedback and ideas from Product leadership, your collaborators, and peer stakeholders to develop your roadmap.
- Lead your Product, Design, and Engineering team’s agile project management processes, going deep with your team of engineers on how our product is built.
- Interview and ideate with key internal Marketing/CX stakeholders on their needs. Turn stakeholder requests into thoughtful user stories and projects that solve root issues.
- Write insightful, well-researched product scope docs that spur effective design phases. Where discovery is unframed, frame problem spaces to enable Engineering, Design, and other partners to engage productively.
- Develop meticulous engineering specs with your design and analytics partners, covering core business logic, data collection, user acceptance criteria, and experiment definition.
What we’re looking for
- Experience as a product manager (additional experience as a project manager or digital marketing manager helpful) with hands-on experience working with designers and web developers.
- Experience leading cross-functional initiatives with demonstrated willingness to manage projects and enable your collaborators to execute.
- Willingness and ability to write clearly and concisely, but also with detail as needed. We place a high onus on writing product specs.
- A deep intellectual interest in financial advice, investment products, and how they’re regulated to the benefit of consumers.
- An ability to tell compelling stories and build long-term narratives in presentations, in writing, and in internal reporting/analysis.
- Solid UX understanding and knowledge of how a creative product design process works.
- Practical ability to extract insights from empirical data and also qualitative research.
- Working knowledge of digital marketing analytics tooling (e.g. Google Analytics) or product analytics tooling (e.g. Mixpanel, Amplitude).
- Practical knowledge of digital A/B testing or other randomly controlled trials.
- Background in using CMS and CRM tooling, such as HubSpot, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Adobe Experience Cloud, Wordpress, Mailchimp, etc. is a plus!
- Working knowledge of HTML/CSS
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY