Product Designer, Scientific Modalities
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
The demand for accelerating scientific research is greater than ever. Benchling enables companies to boost their throughput, drive collaboration and support innovative research through a set of best-in-class design and analysis capabilities. As a Product Designer for Modified Biologics, you will partner with our talented team delivering solutions for scientists using breakthrough techniques in DNA, RNA, protein and antibody design and analysis to drive science forward.
An ideal person for this team will be able to balance customer needs and priorities with the goals of our internal R&D team to deliver highly consistent, delightful user experiences at scale.
- Work with Product Management and Engineering teams to define product strategy, scope, and prioritization
- Work through product problems from definition and opportunity to shipping features to our customers
- Design and prototype multiple ideas quickly, often with customers, to validate product directions
- Own the design for high-impact initiatives from research through implementation
- Mentor and grow designers and researchers on your team, helping them to develop and refine their skills
- Contribute to developing a culture of design in a company that recognizes user experience as a key differentiator
- We support a flexible hybrid environment that balances in-person collaboration and remote work
- 5+ years of experience* driving the design of software products, ideally SaaS, while maintaining a relentless focus on the customer
- Ideally, academic or professional experience in Life Sciences
- A strong portfolio of relevant design work that conveys an ability to ship successful products
- A track record of working with and affinity for highly complex product architectures
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain the reasoning behind complex decisions
- Experience contributing to a design system for complex software products
- Experience working with Product Management and Engineering teams in a fast-moving environment
* We've learned that people hesitate to apply without quantifiable years of experience. However, what’s most important to us is the kind of experiences you’ve had and the skills you’ve developed along the way, regardless of how long it took you to get there. Have well over 5 years of experience? That's great! Have fewer than 5 years, but feel you meet the other requirements? That's ok too! Please apply.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $159,885 to $216,315.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.