Back End Software Engineer II
In a cloud software world, where who you are and what you have access to determines the risk associated with your accounts being compromised, Abnormal Security aims to build a comprehensive tool to understand the employees of our customers and aid security professionals in assessing the risks and threats impacting their employee base. Help us build a new layer of protection that will give enterprises the same level of security for their cloud offerings as Abnormal Security’s industry-leading products do in the email security space.
We’re looking to add a Backend Engineer to our team of world-class engineers. The individual in this role will shape and elevate our Data Ingestion Platform team while working closely within the Behavioral Security Products division. This role straddles the line of velocity and excellence.
As a Backend Engineer of the Data Ingestion Platform team, you will:
- Build the tools and infrastructure to enhance the ingestion of data to be used downstream to provide increased security to Abnormal customers
- Develop scalable, high throughput data ingestion services ingesting a multitude of third-party data with strong guarantees around data integrity
- Enhance the DIP v2 infrastructure to improve the customer experience, maintain a high level of system uptime, and streamline integration process
- Simplify the development process for the integration teams with new set of tools, processes and services
- Improve the customer experience by focusing on troubleshooting issues and quickly iterate on customer requests
- Create a magical work environment with colleagues and memorable interview process for candidates
This is a unique opportunity in which engineers from various backgrounds could thrive. Here are just a few examples of profiles we think could be excellent:
- A backend software engineer who has worked on distributed systems, maintained existing software while developing new features/products
- A customer-focused engineer who is driven by making an impact visible to our customers and guided by feedback
- A software engineer who has spent time in different domains that can adapt quickly and take ownership of projects end-to-end
- Streaming data systems - Kafka, Spark, Map/Reduce or similar to process large data sets
- Experience working with building and operating distributed systems and services
- Experience with external party APIs
- Experience with Python/Golang
- 3-5 Years of overall software engineering experience
- Preferred: 2+ years with Python/ Golang and API development
There are a lot of opportunities for growth and career advancement–it’s up to you to own your career here. Some potential career paths for this role include:
- Continuing to grow into a senior, staff, and/or tech lead individual contributor role
- Moving from an individual contributor role into an Engineering Management position
- Opportunity to take on additional responsibilities to broaden your experience
- Positioning yourself to learn a ton and build an insanely great network so you can be a Founder of your own company
We’re a tight-knit group of diverse, boundary-breaking colleagues, where everyone feels welcome and can contribute the best work of their careers. You might be a culture-add if the following describes you:
- You’re a fast learner who moves swiftly and autonomously, iterating on your learnings in real-time. You don’t need knowledge or experience in cyber security, but you should be excited about the mission and eager to learn about the industry quickly. You have a deeply embedded kinetic drive that propels them to make the impossible possible.
- You are an owner who takes full responsibility for your work. You are not a problem shuffler. You understand how your work impacts the business and proactively seek information to stay informed and act as a business owner, in which there is no task beneath you.
- You are authentic – clear about your opinions, motivations, and intent. You are curious, not judgmental, and always seek to learn more so you can improve your understanding of the world.
- You love building technology solutions that delight customers - internal and external alike. Yes, sometimes that means you are okay working late or rising early.
- You take a principle-based approach to building products/processes. You are intentional about improving 1% better everyday. You have high standards, we do too.
- Language: Python, Golang
- Platform: AWS (Azure in the future) through Terraform, Docker, ECS
- Frameworks: Django, Celery
- Storage:, Postgres, Redis
- Streaming Infrastructure: Kafka, Spark
We offer you:
- The opportunity to be part of a truly special team. Our veteran team has built some of the most enduring machine learning platforms at leading companies, including Google, Twitter, Pinterest, Amazon, Microsoft, and Expanse. Our customer base includes over 10% of Fortune 500 companies.
- A remote-first work policy. We are remote-first, but have optional working spaces in San Francisco, NYC, Utah, Seattle, Singapore, and UK/I. Safety permitting, host in-person meet-ups and company-wide offsites.
- A competitive compensation package: We grant each employee a base salary, performance bonus, and equity.
- Employee Benefits: By this point, we hope you can see that we care about our employees.