Detection Backend Engineering Manager
About the Role
Abnormal Security is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Message Detection Fundamentals team. The team’s charter is to enable detection efficacy and decisioning systems to operate at high excellence given growth in customers, messages, and detectors.
We protect our customers against nefarious adversaries who are constantly evolving their techniques and tactics to outwit and undermine the traditional approaches to Security. That’s what makes our novel behavioral-based approach so…Abnormal.
As the threat landscape constantly evolves both due to new unseen attacks as well as multifold increase in our customer base, this team is central to Abnormal’s strategy to scale up detection systems while balancing precision, velocity and system complexity. The team is primarily composed of backend engineers who build both metadata / behavioral signals, as well as complex software systems and processes to maintain an overall high precise detection system. The team also interfaces and occasionally collaborates with machine Learning teams for ML Ops projects i.e. features and signal building and data pipelines.
The EM will be responsible for managing the execution of the roadmap and deliverables while optimizing both human and system resource utilization. The Engineering Manager’s success or failure impacts our ability to build and iterate on a high precise detector engine, which is the core of our business and that makes the success of this team, and its leader, so massively impactful.
What you will do
- Own the execution success of the quarterly roadmap for the Detection Fundamentals team; engage continuously with the Tech Leads to adjust and prioritize current roadmap items according to team’s charter and company priorities.
- Deliver on:
- Business criticality module to automatically maintain precision of the detection engine at both overall and individual customer levels.
- Standardizing and scaling the message decisioning systems as new heuristics and ML detectors are added to the system.
- Cost efficacy projects to help scale the detector decisioning infrastructure costs as the scale of customers and messages processed grow.
- Own both directly customer impacting metrics and system metrics and able to work with the team to proactively identify and repair degradations:
- High Precision metrics for both onboarded and new customers
- Automation metrics for responses to customer specific requirements
- System metrics related to scaling of detectors including efficiency and health metrics
- Own the business logic layer for signal generation for both message metadata/content and current/historical user behaviour, and systems and processes to continuously adapt and improve signals.
- Make sure the team delivers on projects that are set by TLs as part of the technical roadmap.
- Manage the quarterly roadmap updates, project time estimates, weekly sprint planning, day-to-day standups
- Identify risks on project delivery (technical, operational, dependency risks) and escalate to appropriate technical leads
- Able to assess progress in a metrics-oriented manner
- Drive Stakeholder alignment
- (i) represented to the TLs of the Detection Fundamentals team to propose future roadmap items according to team’s charter and company priorities
- (ii) tracked and communicated to stakeholders
- Solicit input from teams that are customers of the Detection Fundamentals team (MD Attack, DSS, GTM etc), and ensure that the input is
- 1+ years experience of managing data driven product teams running at large scale data ( 100M+ ) and ability to guide a team technically in this respect.
- 4+ years of hands-on experience in engineering building and safely shipping backend heavy product features or ML adjacent systems at high velocity.
- Metrics driven culture: Has led a team of engineers in building out systems and displayed the ability to define metrics of excellence and setup processes to continuously monitor and maintain high standards on metrics.
- Be Customer obsessed: Worked with multiple stakeholders to gather requirements and then prioritize and balance against the team's roadmap.
- Set High standards - sets high standards and expectations for project execution for themselves and the whole team.
- Ability to hire and retain top talent
Nice to Have
- Familiarity with ML models, feature engineering knowledge, ML model work
- Familiarity with cyber security industry
- MS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or other related engineering field
Something looks off?