Senior Backend Engineer
Vareto is reimagining both how companies evaluate the past and plan for the future. Today, companies make their most important decisions using spreadsheets, presentations, legacy tools, and countless meetings and emails. Executives make decisions with limited data, teams waste time aligning on metric definitions instead of collaborating, and analysts debug Excel files instead of generating insights.
Vareto is building a next-generation reporting and planning platform that changes all of that. Our product helps companies standardize their business data, derive and share insights, and build connected cloud-based financial plans - all so companies can make better, faster decisions.
We’re a remote-first team (hiring in the US, Canada, Latin America, and Europe) and we’re backed by top investors and industry leaders including GV, Menlo Ventures, and over 100 angels.
As an early member of the engineering team, you will play a critical role in developing our data ecosystem and building the data foundation of the company. This includes everything from building integrations with third party APIs, designing data import, export, and transform pipelines, analyzing and improving performance and scalability, and building APIs supporting customer-facing data management tools. The ideal candidate will be excited about joining an early-stage company, building from scratch, and having an outsized impact on our team, customers, and the overall business.
What you'll do:
- Design, build, and maintain API based services that can scale to thousands of requests per second for handling complex query and data analytics workflows.
- Implement and tune a variety of database technologies including PostgreSQL on Aurora, key-value stores, and graph databases.
- Design, build, and maintain data pipelines that ensure that customer data is up to date, accurate, and highly-available.
- Be part of a small team committed to rapid iterative development, regular deployments, and engineering practices that produce high-quality, maintainable code.
- Build the company you want to work at.
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- Experience with CRDTs, and multiplayer concurrency issues.
- Experience building and maintain data pipelines using technologies like Python, Airflow, Great Expectations, DBT, S3, and Snowflake/Redshift.
- Experience building containerized RESTful web services in Python or similar languages.
- Familiarity with processing and manipulating data in many different environments and formats: Pandas, Parquet, SQL, CSV, XML, JSON, etc.
- A strong communicator who can articulate nuanced ideas clearly whether it's explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time.
- Bonus points if you have prior experience working at a startup.
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field is a plus.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Are pragmatic and care about the business impact of what you're building.
- Can handle disagreements and engage thoughtfully with other perspectives, making compromises when needed.
- Are not ideological about technological choices and understand that there's no "one solution fits all."
- Are excited to mentor and learn from other engineers, and believe that no one is above code review.
- Enjoy wearing multiple hats (bonus points if you like to dabble in product, design, presentations, business strategy, or other functional areas).
What we offer:
- 401k Plan,
- Generous Medical, Dental, Vision plans, including HSA and FSA options,
- Flexible PTO,
- 12 weeks of parental leave for qualified employees,
- Paid Holidays,
- A competitive salary that's based on principled, transparent, market-driven compensation bands. In the U.S., you may expect your annual salary to be in the range of $143,000 - $179,000.
- Other perks such as company retreats, co-working and meal stipends, and more,
- Semi-annual compensation reviews and opportunities for career advancement. When we grow, you grow!
Is your experience close to what we’ve described but maybe you feel you’re missing a few of the requirements? We encourage you to apply anyway. We look for people with exceptional potential, and we know this can take many forms. We believe the highest performing teams include people with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences.
Vareto is a fully-remote, global company. #LI-Remote