Senior Technical Specialist
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, January 7, 2024
Synthego is seeking a Senior Technical Specialist with a strong background in CRISPR gene editing and customer communication to join our team in a non-laboratory role. This is a unique opportunity for anyone with a technical background who wants to utilize their expertise in a customer-facing role and still be close to science. The technical specialist is critical to supporting both Synthego’s scientific and commercial organizations and our customer’s technical needs in the constantly evolving domain of CRISPR/Genome Engineering.
This customer-facing role will require managing technical communication and ongoing projects from its inception to post shipment between Synthego and our customers. The Technical Specialist will be heavily involved in pre-sales customer communication for assessing the scientific feasibility of CRISPR-editing requests and post-sale communication to address technical inquiries on ongoing or finished orders. This individual will be the scientific liaison between internal teams, partners and the customer, managing communications and relationships with the different stakeholders, and will provide ongoing status reports to our VIP accounts in an accurate and timely order.
This role will collaborate cross-functionally to drive change, manage tight deadlines, and help deliver highly technical solutions to advance our customers’ science. This person will work closely with operations, product management, marketing, quality, and commercial teams to provide expert technical advice for all CRISPR researchers who utilize our product portfolio in their work.
If you are motivated by helping others, keen to help scientists on their path from discovery to the clinic and have an interest in contributing to advancing life sciences and technologies in a fast-paced environment, then this is the position for you!
*This role is remote within the United States.
What You’ll Do
- Pre-sale support:
- Conducting scientific feasibility assessment for Engineered Cells Orders.
- Provide excellent scientific and customer support throughout project intake and communicate via customer calls, clearly and effectively the outcome of feasibility assessments and help ensure accurate order intake data capture.
- Use critical thinking and work closely with Operations to propose alternative editing strategies that intersect with our capabilities and customer needs and present options to customers.
- Post-sale support:
- Be a conduit between customers, sales, and Operations to provide scientific support and context to project updates and help resolve any concerns, cancellations, or issues that may arise during manufacturing.
- Own all aspects of project management from order initiation, status updates, and milestone communication to project closeout for VIP accounts, including facilitating progress report calls and project tracking.
- Work closely with Operations to track project progress against timelines, foresee and mitigate roadblocks, and facilitate communication with those customers to ensure timely updates.
- Post-shipment scientific support:
- Own the technical and scientific success of Synthego’s customers with all our genome engineering products, including Engineered Cells and Bioinformatic tools.
- Provide excellent scientific and customer support throughout the entire CRISPR experimental workflows, including experimental design, troubleshooting, and analysis.
- Assist with generating and maintaining online customer-facing technical content and resources (Help center articles, protocols, blogs etc)
- Assist with generating internal technical content and training materials
- Maintain an excellent working knowledge of relevant CRISPR/Genome Engineering publications; keep current on the latest reports and research trends from the literature; attend relevant conferences.
- Will be a key stakeholder in conversations around the Partnership Ecosystem and premium projects between sales, internal teams, external vendors, and the customers
- Assist with improving and optimizing current processes and creating new technical content/resources in the form of help center articles or short videos
- Ph.D. in a relevant biological field (e.g., Molecular/Cell Biology, Genetics) with at least 2 years of hands-on experience with functional genetics in mammalian cell culture and/or stem cells.
- Hands-on experience with CRISPR and/or human-induced pluripotent stem cells or embryonic stem cells is a must
- Experience (+2 years) with mammalian cell culture, preferably iPSC/stem cells/Primary T cells and cell biology.
- Customer-facing experience within a life science or drug discovery company is a plus
- Strong technical knowledge around experimental design, execution, analysis, and troubleshooting portions of CRISPR (or other gene editing and/or functional genetics) workflows and basic molecular biology techniques.
- Ability to quickly learn and comprehend scientific concepts and present highly technical information on different platforms (conferences, webinars, seminars at client locations)
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), problem-solving, collaborative, and networking skills – both towards other scientists/customers and internal (sales team, operations, quality, research) within a life science or drug discovery company is a plus
- Familiar with project management applications (i.e., Smartsheets, Confluence, Jira, Asana, etc.)with the ability to learn new applications
- Keen to help scientists with different backgrounds and expertise levels to successfully perform genome engineering experiments.
- Detail-oriented and able to multitask in a dynamic environment with strong organizational
- This is a great opportunity if you are looking to transition out of the lab to be closer to customers while remaining technical and up-to-date with cutting-edge science
Company Perks & Benefits
- Generous equity
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k Program
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible paid time off
Synthego is a genome engineering company that enables the acceleration of life science research and development in the pursuit of improved human health.
The company leverages machine learning, automation, and gene editing to build platforms for science at scale. With its foundations in engineering disciplines, the company’s platforms vertically integrate proprietary hardware, software, bioinformatics, chemistries, and molecular biology to advance basic research, target validation, and clinical trials.
By providing both commercial and academic researchers and therapeutic developers with unprecedented access to cutting-edge genome engineering, Synthego is at the forefront of innovation, accelerating the development of truly engineered biology.