Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2023
Synthego is a genome engineering innovation company. Our automated, full-stack genome engineering platform enables broader access to CRISPR to accelerate basic scientific discovery, uncover cures for diseases, and develop novel synthetic biology applications to improve and prolong life. Automating these platforms is no cakewalk, though. Any given order moves through dozens of instruments, and our Halo and Eclipse factories can manage throughput in the thousands. Our Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) or Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) guide, track, and check work product as it flows from software, to people, to hardware, and back again.
Synthego moves fast. New technologies, instruments, workflows, and optimizations are constantly introduced, fueling our ever-growing pursuit of cutting-edge products. Consequently, our software teams must also move fast. From receipt of new customer orders through final inspection and packing, Halo Software and Eclipse Software must properly model, track, and illuminate the essential events and transitions in the factories, empowering production to maintain their high levels of operational excellence.
What You'll Do
- Build solutions with Airflow, Django, and React that enable new capabilities and improve the quality, speed, parallelism, and efficiency of the guide RNA and engineered cell factories
- Own projects end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout
- Design and implement data models and APIs to represent complex chemical and biological processes
- Write software to communicate with custom and off-the-shelf laboratory automation instruments
- Collaborate with engineers and scientists across the organization to define, design and ship new features
- Write and test clean, scalable code that solves problems for today and tomorrow
- Mentor junior engineers on the team and lead by example, encouraging software development best practices
- BS/MS in CS/EE or 5 years of relevant industry engineering experience
- 3+ years of professional experience developing web applications
- 2+ years of professional experience doing back-end development with Python and Django
- Experience with cloud-based microservice architectures and design
- You are passionate about learning, and want to help us learn too
- You are comfortable communicating with internal customers, technical teams and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, demo work in progress and provide project updates
- You have the drive and focus to get challenging projects over the finish line, and you are comfortable advocating for what you need to do your best work
- You thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
Nice to Have
- Experience working with React, Redux
- Previous experience leading and managing projects
- Previous experience working with computational biology tools
- Experience working with microservices
- Experience with agile tools like JIRA, Confluence and GitHub
- Prior life sciences experience and knowledge are not required, but willingness to learn and engage with scientists and stakeholders is expected
Company Perks & Benefits
- Generous equity
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k Program
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Synthego is a genome engineering company that enables the acceleration of life science research and development in the pursuit of improved human health.
The company leverages machine learning, automation, and gene editing to build platforms for science at scale. With its foundations in engineering disciplines, the company’s platforms vertically integrate proprietary hardware, software, bioinformatics, chemistries, and molecular biology to advance basic research, target validation, and clinical trials.
By providing both commercial and academic researchers and therapeutic developers with unprecedented access to cutting-edge genome engineering, Synthego is at the forefront of innovation, accelerating the development of truly engineered biology.
See more open positions at Synthego
Something looks off?