Director, Technical Accounting and External Reporting
As a member of the ShipBob Team, you will benefit from an environment where everything is achievable. We aim to be a place where you can:
- Write Your Career Story. Because we are solving some of the most difficult problems in global commerce, you have the opportunity to write the story that will make your career.
- Experience Global Impact and Global Connection. At ShipBob we benefit from diverse cultures and perspectives in service of the global community.
- Grow With An Ownership Mindset. We believe that great innovation comes from great transparency. We are more resilient and more creative when we have an inclusive and transparent culture where everyone knows our strengths and opportunities.
Title: Director, Technical Accounting and External Reporting
Location: Remote in these states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, KS, KY, IA, ID, IL, IN, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA, WI
We are seeking a Director, Technical Accounting and External Reporting to join our growing Accounting team and to oversee all aspects of external financial reporting. In this position, you’ll play a critical role in ensuring the accuracy, compliance, and quality of our financial reporting. Your expertise in technical accounting and deep understanding of SEC regulations will be instrumental in guiding our organization through complex financial matters and ensuring adherence to reporting standards on the public readiness journey.
What you’ll do:
- Create and implement external reporting structure and function.
- Manage preparation of the Company’s SEC reporting, including forms 10-K, 10-Q and other company filings meeting Company, SEC, and other regulatory requirements within the required deadlines.
- Act as the subject matter expert on US GAAP and SEC regulations for preparing and filing SEC reports; demonstrate a clear understanding of related authoritative literature governing financial reporting for public companies.
- Stay current on new/proposed accounting guidance and best practices, including GAAP and SEC Reporting.
- Analyze, assess, and document the impact of relevant technical guidance on the Company’s operations reporting including accounting policies and disclosures, and provide guidance on how to implement required modifications.
- Update and create technical memos for ShipBob and partner with Assistant Global and Area Controllers to implement new guidance.
- Manage external GAAP reporting to be used by the CEO, COO, CFO and Investor Relations, including earnings releases and investor presentations.
- Guide special projects and initiatives to optimize the effectiveness of existing business applications, technologies, and systems to build efficiencies/improvements into current or new business processes.
- Assist with the documentation and testing related to the internal control environment and provide support for SOX requirements, including review and maintenance of various corporate accounting processes and documentation.
- Elevate, manage, and develop the team, which includes a Manager, External Reporting and a Manager, Consolidations.
- Manage with a commitment to continuous learning and improvement, using a collaborative management style with a willingness to dig into details to support our objectives in a hyper-growth environment.
- Deliver collaborative and proactive relationships with key stakeholders, including key constituents throughout the company, including but not limited to the external auditors, legal and compliance, IT, HR, FP&A, revenue, and engineering departments.
- Support the external/internal audit request process as applicable.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as necessary.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting.
- CPA (Active) is required.
- 12+ years of technical US GAAP accounting and multi-national footprint experience, required.
- Prior experience with SEC communications and technical memo writing within publicly traded companies required.
- Demonstrated track-record of process improvements and team leadership.
- Detail-oriented with the highest regard for accuracy, completeness, and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to interact effectively with people across various functions, management, and external professionals (i.e. auditors and regulators).
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to effectively collaborate and work in teams as well as work independently.
- Knowledge and prior experience working with NetSuite, Hyperion and Workiva a plus.
- Advanced Excel skills required, including VLOOKUP’s, SUMIF’s and Pivot Tables.
- Exemplary time management skills.
- Enthusiastic, adaptable, and see challenges as an opportunity to grow.
Reports to: VP, Global Controller
Perks & Benefits:
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Basic Life Insurance
- Paid Maternity/Parental Leave Program
- Flexible Time Off Program
- Paid Sick Leave and Paid Emergency Leave
- Floating Holidays (2 days/year)
- Wellness Days (1 day/quarter)
- 401K Match
- Competitive Salary, Performance Bonus & Equity
- Variety of voluntary benefits, such as, short term disability
- Referral Bonus Program
- Fun Culture >>> Check us out on Instagram (@lifeatshipbob)
ShipBob believes in transparency while providing a competitive total compensation package with a pay for performance approach. The expected base pay range for this position is $170,000 - $190,000.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
At ShipBob, we’re looking to bring on board people who embody our core values:
- Be Mission-Driven. We want team members that are passionate about helping entrepreneurs improve their business, and bring that passion every day.
- Be Humble. We have ambitious goals, and our team members understand that success or failure depends on us working together and leaving egos at the door.
- Be Resilient. Logistics is a complicated business. So is software. We value team members that never give up and keep iterating until a problem is solved.
- Be a Creative Problem Solver. As a startup, we value smart, innovative solutions to complex problems. We fall in love with the problem, not our “favorite” solution.
- Be Safety Minded. It’s not just talk; it’s the way you work.
ShipBob is a cloud-based logistics platform that partners with thousands of e-commerce businesses to help make their entrepreneurial dreams a reality. We offer a full suite of fulfillment solutions for our merchants, including the ability to improve their transit times, shipping costs and deliver a best in class experience to their customers.
As one of the fastest growing tech companies in Chicago backed by blue-chip investors like Menlo Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, Hyde Park Venture Partners and SoftBank Vision Fund 2, our goal is to continue to be the best fulfillment technology in the industry.
ShipBob provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.