Senior Software Engineer - AI backend
As Relyance AI’s Senior Software Engineer - AI backend, you will strategize, drive, and execute on the core initiatives connecting output of NLP (Natural Language Processing) and AI models with the Relyance product. You will partner with cross-functional stakeholders to design and build a flexible, powerful, robust NLP backend that scales the impact of AI for customers. Given that you are constructing the foundation for a system with complex data rapidly evolving over time, you need to pay close attention to detail, anticipate and welcome constant change, maintain a forward-thinking outlook, and yet be fast and scrappy for the present needs.
As a Senior Software Engineer - AI backend, your role will include:
- Strategy: using your experience and understanding of how complex backends and data evolve over time, you will create and execute a roadmap for a system that enables high velocity AI development while creating stability on the product side.
- Execution: make customer-centric prioritization decisions to balance between immediate impact and long-term bets with limited resources and partner with the team manager to drive alignment and collaboration with other engineering teams.
- Design: deeply understand how everything fits together; architect systems to balance scrappiness for the current needs with a forward-thinking outlook to improve and scale our infrastructure; continuously look for opportunities to automate and build tools to lower operational barriers.
- Hands-on: being a key member of the team solving its most complex problems with the simple, pragmatic solutions .
- Learning: in this role, you will have ample opportunities to become a hands-on AI/ML engineer by learning practical use of AI technologies such as Large Language Models (e.g. ChatGPT and GPT-4), smaller models like BERT and T5, frameworks like PyTorch and TensorFlow, model training and data curation workflows, etc.
This role could be a fit for you if you bring:
- 7+ years of experience with a track record of being a key member of teams building complex backends, especially backends that deal with complex data.
- Expert level proficiency in one or more languages like Java, Scala, C#, C++, Python.
- Strong data structures, algorithms, and OO software design and implementation skills.
- Ability to learn and operate across full stack, from ML and NLP, to cloud infrastructure, to UI frontend.
- Experience as a creative and strategic thinker with mindset to build powerful, robust, and flexible systems.
- A “get stuff done” attitude and enjoy being hands-on and working alongside the team to solve its most pressing problems in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- A track record of successfully influencing product direction through a strong perspective that motivates engineers to develop simple, pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
- Skills in communicating with clear and concise, active listening and empathy skills, and a respectful, collaborative approach that earns the trust of your peers.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with ML and NLP in particular
- Experience with a privacy technology
- Startup Experience
- An advanced technical degree
Who are we?
Using machine learning, Relyance AI builds a dynamic, real-time data inventory and map so you can monitor how personal data moves through your code, applications, infrastructure, and to third-party vendors. We exist because we believe innovation is fundamental to human progress. We build for people—our customers, our team, and the global community. Our core values brought us into existence, and they’re the motor that keeps us running.
GLOBAL IMPACT | Think big. Beyond borders.
TRUST | Lost easily. Built carefully.
CRITICAL THINKING | Critical eye. Critical mind.
CUSTOMER | Redefine satisfaction. Build loyalty.
PERSISTENCE | Celebrate failure. Keep going.
TEAM | Fast alone. Far together.
DIVERSITY | We win through representation and inclusion.
Relyance AI is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. We use data-driven pay practices with the goal of ensuring offerings are competitive to the market and our team members are being compensated correctly based on their roles, experience, and location. As such, the base salary pay range for this role is $146,000 to $172,000.