Scientist, Non-Clinical Safety
Pliant Therapeutics is a late-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of novel therapies for fibrotic diseases. Founded by Third Rock Ventures with world-renowned academic thought leaders, Pliant is raising the bar to meet the unmet medical needs of physicians, patients and families impacted by fibrotic diseases. As the leader in the discovery and development of novel therapeutics for the treatment of fibrotic diseases, Pliant is developing small molecule drug candidates specifically designed to impact the fibrotic process.
The Company’s lead product candidate, bexotegrast (PLN-74809), is an oral small molecule, selective inhibitor of the αvβ1 and αvβ6 integrins that play a key role in multiple fibrotic pathways. Bexotegrast has received Fast Track Designation and Orphan Drug Designation from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for both idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) and Orphan Drug Designation from the European Medicines Agency in IPF and PSC. Pliant is currently conducting BEACON-IPF, a Phase 2b trial of bexotegrast for the treatment of IPF and INTEGRIS-PSC, a Phase 2a trial of bexotegrast for the treatment of PSC.
Pliant has also developed PLN-1474, a small molecule, selective inhibitor of αvß1 for the treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, or NASH with liver fibrosis. Pliant is conducting a Phase 1 study for its third clinical program, PLN-101095, a small molecule, dual-selective inhibitor of αvß8 and αvß1 integrins, that is being developed for the treatment of solid tumors. The Company also has discovery and development programs in oncology and muscular dystrophies.
The Scientist I will represent nonclinical safety on drug discovery and development project teams. The position will require a strong scientific background and problem-solving skills. A fluid ability to work with multi-functional project teams is key. Reports into Director, Non-Clinical Safety.
- Develop and execute nonclinical safety strategy to support candidate lead optimization efforts
- Conduct target safety assessments and develop de-risking strategies for any potential toxicity issues related to undesired or exaggerated pharmacology
- Design and oversee toxicology studies conducted at external CRO’s
- Analyze, interpret and present nonclinical safety findings to key internal stakeholders
- Collaborate closely with internal Discovery and Development colleagues on project teams
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, abilities and prior experience required.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in toxicology, pharmacology, or related disciplines
- 1-3 years of relevant experience post-degree, preferably in biopharmaceutical, CRO or government settings. Up to 2 years postdoctoral research experience in a relevant field would be considered contributory to the duration of experience requirement.
- Expertise in conducting both in vitro and in vivo toxicology studies
- Good communication, presentation, and technical writing skills
- This is a hybrid position, with a 3 day in the office expectation (South San Francisco).
- Experience in the design, execution, and oversight of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) toxicology studies is preferred.
Pliant requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated prior to the first date of employment (subject to any legally required exemptions).
The annual base salary for this role is $130,000 - $140,000. Individual pay may vary based on additional factors, including, and without limitation job-related skills, experience, work location and relevant education or training. Pliant’s compensation package also includes benefits, equity, and annual target bonus for fulltime positions.
To understand how Pliant complies with and manages your personal information with respect to the California Consumer Privacy Act, please visit https://pliantrx.com/ccpa-applicant-and-staff-privacy-notice/.