Senior Developer Tooling Engineer (Frameworks)
About the Team:
At Netlify, our engineers are at the core of our mission to build a better web. We aim to create a better experience for developers globally by reducing friction and giving them autonomy, agency, and power so that they can innovate at the speed of light. We anchor our engineering teams around pillars to drive developer productivity and enable us to scale, conquer, and divide. Netlify has been remote-first since our inception and we’re globally distributed, spanning across North America and Europe. We’re biased towards asynchronous planning and communication and take documentation seriously, meaning fewer meetings and more execution!
As a Developer Tooling Engineer at Netlify, you'll work with a smart and empathetic set of team members who are very motivated to keep learning and continuing to grow each other in a supportive way. You'll be contributing to our open-source work, which includes things like the Next.js runtime, Gatsby framework, Netlify CLI, framework-info, and many others! With our team, you’ll be the bridge between the developer community and our platform, partnering closely with maintainers of frontend frameworks as well as our Platform teams to help shape the experience of using and shipping on Netlify for millions of developers around the world. You'll be a significant influence on the overall vision and long-term goals of the team and product.
What You’ll Do:
- Dive deeply into our codebase and become familiar with our framework runtimes. You’ll be using your extensive Typescript knowledge and technical breadth to ship clean, quality code and follow modern Typescript conventions.
- Be an advocate for development best practices, helping the team to iterate on our framework testing strategies.
- Collaborate with framework authors and the developer community and actively participate in discussions to improve our developer tools.
- Work independently to investigate and drive efforts to enhance our understanding of frameworks and ensure they perform optimally on our platform.
- Work closely with the Platform Engineering team to enable frameworks on our platform the leverage platform primitives like caching and cloud storage.
- Consistently delivering product features within your pillar and owning the systems from beginning to end, including expanding functionality, testing and debugging, investigating production issues, and shipping code that directly impacts important user experience and business metrics.
- With over 10% of Internet users visiting at least one site hosted by Netlify every 30 days, you’ll be well-versed in designing for scale to enable the performance of our systems.
- You’ll be partnering closely with other cross-functional peers, including Product Managers, Designers, Documentation, and Support to broaden your connections across the organization and enable significant organizational impact.
- Establish strong async communication rhythms with your peers and leaders, practicing transparency and visibility in your progress against areas of focus.
- Join the on-call rotation and help the team pay down technical debt and improve reliability.
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other engineers and teammates in your product team, and support your team through thoughtful feedback.
- Gain extensive knowledge about Netlify and dive into the inner workings of our platform.
- Have consistent one-on-ones and pairing sessions with other engineers throughout the organization.
- Continually improving our engineering standards through code reviews, advocating for continuous improvement within our code base, and making a meaningful impact on Netlify’s engineering practice and tooling.
- Growing your skills by participating in our community as we learn and grow together.
What You'll Bring:
- Experience or significant interest in interacting with open-source communities, triaging issues, and contributing to open-source projects
- An extensive history of delivering product features & deploying services with a high level of comfort iterating on a system while it is constantly serving traffic.
- Familiarity with build systems, CI, and open source metrics.
- Demonstrated pattern of delivering high-quality, performant code with a strong appetite for learning
- Curiosity and openness to learning new technologies and best practices
- Passion for working in a collaborative environment, where you enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise working across distributed locations around the world and a deep appreciation for documentation and asynchronous communication practices.
- The ability to thrive in an environment where experimentation and failure are celebrated
- Comfortable working in an environment that is constantly evolving. At Netlify, we’re always iterating, learning, and growing and we’re looking for team members who thrive in that environment.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include:
A resume or short listing of your job history & skills (link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). We appreciate a cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role at Netlify to get to know you a bit better, though this is not required and will not impact your application. Our mission is to “build a better web” and that cannot be done without a diversity of skill sets, backgrounds and thoughts.
At Netlify, we’re on a mission to build a better web by making it easier than ever to build, deploy, and scale web applications. We are a Series D company with a $2B valuation and have raised over $200M from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT, Bessemer, BOND and Menlo Ventures. As a globally distributed organization, we aim to create a company culture where the best idea can come from anywhere and strive to be thoughtful, caring, and collaborative in our work within and across teams. To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our About page.
At Netlify, we are committed to equal pay for equal work. Netlify anchors our compensation philosophy on a market-based approach, therefore salary ranges may differ depending on the cost of labor in a particular location. Our base compensation for this role is targeted at $136,000 to $184,000 for most US-based locations. Candidates based outside of the US or in premium markets such as New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Seattle, and Austin should consult with their Talent Acquisition partner regarding location-based ranges, as they may be higher or lower than the average US range listed. The starting pay will be determined based on multiple factors, including expertise and skills, market demands, experience, internal equity, and applicable geographic location. The salary provided is in addition to robust benefits and participation in Netlify’s equity plan. These compensation packages and ranges are subject to change and may be modified in the future. Your Talent Acquisition partner will be available to answer any questions during the hiring process.