Software Engineer III (Ruby on Rails)
About the role
As a Software Engineer III on the FireHydrant team, you will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining the server-side of our web application, working closely with your peers on the Engineering team, Product, Design, and our customer-facing teams. Our product engineering teams are responsible for driving product quality and using an iterative approach to learn, ensuring that we develop as an API-first, enterprise-ready Incident Management tool.
The work you’ll do
- Build new features and maintain our existing Incident Management application to improve the incident response experience for engineers
- Be an active participant and team player in Engineering ceremonies, code reviews, product roasts, and customer feedback sessions to drive continuous improvement
- Partner closely with designers, product managers, and customer-facing teammates to understand end-user requirements, formulate edge cases, and translate criteria into simple solutions that solve customer problems
- Respond to critical production escalation issues through shared on-call rotation – our systems need to be working when our customers’ systems aren’t
- Champion engineering best practices and quality among your teammates and across the organization, including teaching and learning from your peers and responding to engineering related questions cross-departmentally
What we’re looking for
- Progressive (ideally 3+ years) Full Stack software development experience, including hands-on experience building applications in Ruby on Rails, Go, and React
- Proven track record of delivering projects on time with a team in a remote/hybrid setting
- Self-starter capable of diving into challenging problems and successfully delivering results on time
- Passion for quality - you care about writing maintainable code and leaving things better than you found them
- Deeply curious - you are customer-focused and have a desire to learn more about our product space and the end user
- Proactive communicator - you jump to solve problems without being asked
FireHydrant is the only full-cycle incident management platform that drives reliability. It replaces siloed knowledge, disparate tools, and homegrown processes with a fully automated, customizable platform that makes it simple to efficiently and consistently respond to incidents — and ultimately, to learn from them. That’s why the world's most innovative engineer teams — like Spotify, Snyk, and 1Password — choose FireHydrant to build and scale their incident management programs.
Backed by Menlo Ventures, Work-Bench, Harmony Partners, and Salesforce Ventures, our 50 (and growing!) team members are building the future of reliability from remote offices around the US. Join us.
Life at FireHydrant
- We’re remote-first, with employees living and working around the US
- 1x per year we will gather in-person as a company; as teams, we gather another 1-2x per year, depending on the safety of such a gathering and have virtual events throughout the year
- We collaborate through Slack, Zoom, Notion, and Google Workspace
- Kind candor - we expect honesty delivered through kindness, first and foremost
- Transparency & equity - information is shared openly; we welcome ideas and contributions regardless of role or experience level
- We value building trust, acting with integrity, and continuously improving
- 100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental premiums for the employee and 75% of dependents
- Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum requirement of three weeks off per year, with sustainable working hours and a healthy work/life balance
- Home office stipend: get your workspace set up in a way that works best for you
- 401k match
FireHydrant believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and we strive for transparency within our organization and the industry. We set our salaries at the 75th percentile of pay for the San Francisco market using compensation data from hundreds of companies at our stage. Additionally, everyone in a given role is paid the same without adjusting for locality. The salary for this position is $165,000.
- FireHydrant requires that all newly hired employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations provided based on medical need or religious belief.
- All employees must be able to show authorization to work in the US.
Note: FireHydrant is not working with agencies for this role.