Senior Software Engineer
About the role
FireHydrant is excited to be hiring a Backend Engineer to support our growing Product Engineering team. The person in this role will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining the server-side of our web application, working closely with members of the Frontend Team, Product, and Design. The Backend Team is responsible for ensuring that we develop as an API-first and enterprise-ready Incident Management tool.
The work you’ll do
- Build new features and maintain our existing application with other members of the Backend Product Engineering team
- Collaborate with other members of the team in design reviews, actively engage in code reviews, and meaningfully contribute to team/department discussions
- Work with designers, product managers, and customer-facing teammates to understand end-user requirements, formulate edge cases, and translate criteria into simple solutions
- Respond to critical production escalation issues through shared on-call rotation – our systems need to be working when our customers’ systems aren’t
What we’re looking for
- Demonstrated experience building applications in Ruby
- Proven track record of delivering projects on time with a team in a remote/hybrid setting
- Self-starter capable of diving into challenging problems and successfully delivering results on time
- Established Backend Software Engineering best-practice
- Knowledgeable and willing to learn more about Incident Management and SRE product space
- Proactive communicator
Learn about our interview process here.
FireHydrant is the only full-cycle incident management platform that drives reliability. It replaces siloed knowledge, disparate tools, and homegrown processes with a fully automated, customizable platform that makes it simple to efficiently and consistently respond to incidents — and ultimately, to learn from them. That’s why the world's most innovative engineer teams — like Spotify, Snyk, and 1Password — choose FireHydrant to build and scale their incident management programs.
Backed by Menlo Ventures, Work-Bench, Harmony Partners, and Salesforce Ventures, our 50 (and growing!) team members are building the future of reliability from remote offices around the US. Join us.
Life at FireHydrant
- We’re remote-first, with employees living and working around the US
- 1x per year we will gather in-person as a company; as teams, we gather another 1-2x per year, depending on the safety of such a gathering and have virtual events throughout the year
- We collaborate through Slack, Zoom, Notion, and Google Workspace
- Kind candor - we expect honesty delivered through kindness, first and foremost
- Transparency & equity - information is shared openly; we welcome ideas and contributions regardless of role or experience level
- We value building trust, acting with integrity, and continuously improving
- 100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental premiums for the employee and 75% of dependents
- Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum requirement of three weeks off per year, with sustainable working hours and a healthy work/life balance
- Home office stipend: get your workspace set up in a way that works best for you
- 401k match
FireHydrant believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and we strive for transparency within our organization and the industry. We set our salaries at the 75th percentile of pay for the San Francisco market using compensation data from hundreds of companies at our stage. Additionally, everyone in a given role is paid the same without adjusting for locality. The salary for this position is $165,000 for Mid-level, $190,000 for Senior, and $215,000 for Staff depending on leveling.
- FireHydrant requires that all newly hired employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations provided based on medical need or religious belief.
- All employees must be able to show authorization to work in the US.
Note: FireHydrant is not working with agencies for this role.