Software Engineering Manager
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2023
Do you want to help design new ways of processing Enterprise scale data at speed, learn leading edge technologies, work on complex big-data algorithms, shape processes into a growing engineering organisation, all while helping to scale a Series D rocket ship to the next level?
Then welcome to Enable 🚀
What is Enable:
Enable is the SaaS rebate management platform that drives trusted relationships between B2B trading partners. We create money for our customers by providing them with the technology solutions to automatically detect and report on rebate due. Customers configure their deals, Enable ingests and process all their sales transactions, allowing them to find rebates they are owed that they would otherwise have missed.
All this has major challenges, we process enormous amounts of data in very short time frames, performing billions of calculations per customer and storing it all in Enterprise scale databases. We provide customers with reporting, deal editing and collaboration capabilities. There are no standard techniques for doing this, we are the market leader, and we create new solutions every day.
We launched our flagship product in 2016 and have raised $276m to date in Series A, B, C & D funding. We are continually growing our client base, product portfolio and hyper-talented team.
As an Engineering Manager, you'll manage a team of 6 to 8 engineers reporting directly to you.
You take responsibility for leading projects and project teams. You'll lead and mentor members of your team, to ensure high quality deliverables.
You must have expert knowledge of software solution creation, an awareness of automation topics, and have strong communication, time management, and prioritization skills.
You'll be responsible for ensuring that key projects and engineering duties are fulfilled. This includes answering technical questions, overseeing estimates for project work, and training for new engineers.
You can expect to have direct and ongoing input into the technical roadmap of our product. Identify and plan the adoption of new technologies as well as regularly reviewing current practices.
You will report to the Director of Engineering for your engineering group and work closely alongside other Engineering Managers to identify short and long term team objectives, with a focus on quality and iterative improvement.
- Effectively manage a sub team of engineers.
- Hold weekly 1:1s with your sub team to provide them the support they need to progress and succeed at Enable.
- Understanding the strengths and weaknesses as well as the likes and dislikes of individual team members and organising work accordingly. This also includes having the ability to lift motivation levels of team members.
- Schedule, prepare for, and attend annual appraisals for members of your sub team.
- Drive skills development of sub team members.
Team Growth & Retention
- Contribute to recruitment activities, such as interviews and employee onboarding.
- Assist with internal promotion activities as new roles become available.
- Play a role in the growth of the Engineering team as we adapt to being a larger team.
- Be a positive representative for Enable, ensuring your team is happy and we have good staff retention.
- Daily management and HR activities, including the completion of many recurring management tasks.
- Lead engineering projects and project teams
- Deliver projects that improve the quality of Enable’s product and minimize defects
- Confidently deliver challenging project requirements within budget
- When tasks are large" break them down into smaller" more actionable parts
- Effectively manage shifting priorities when necessary
- Promote best practices with a focus on scalability and long-term maintenance. Actively engage in code reviews to advocate and reinforce best practices.
- Lead engineering initiatives aimed at enhancing capabilities, ensuring a strategic approach to prevent the accumulation of technical debt.
- Champion and demonstrate the reduction of technical debt
- Attend recurring engineering meetings.
- Continued focus on staying on top of our backlogs, ensuring our most important tasks are prioritised first.
- Have direct and ongoing input into Engineering team OKRs.
- Take ownership of Engineering team OKRs, ensuring we stay on track to achieve them.
- Management and completion of business improvement initiatives.
- Effectively delegate work and responsibilities, utilising the skills of people in your team.
- Support the operational responsibilities held by members of your team.
- Provide regular assistance and guidance for other members of the engineering team as well as individuals elsewhere in the business.
- Be proactive in anticipating problems that could arise in the future and look to pre-emptively provide solutions before they become an issue.
- Actively participate in meetings and create cross-team collaboration where necessary to address business goals.
- Coordinate efforts across the team rather than working in a silo. Makes sure that people feel included in varying projects, and that their voices are heard.
- Create and maintain internal documentation for the purpose and structure of the systems you’re working on. Carefully document processes that aren’t clear.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to engage and motivate others.
- Be a positive force in the wider Enable team.
- Thrive in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to be decisive and make difficult decisions.
- Strong technical design capability.
- Strong interpersonal skills to manage a team of engineers.
- Excellent problem solving ability.
- Be dynamic, ready to respond to ad hoc queries.
- At least 3 years’ experience leading software engineering project teams.
- Provable track record of delivering projects to a high standard, with minimal defects.
- Be able to demonstrate work that has pushed an organization forward, such as, improving standards, deploying new technologies that are consistent with the roadmap, improving business processes, contributions to team OKRs.
Enable Global Inc provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Enable complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Enable expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Enable employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.