Staff Research Scientist, Machine Learning
About the Company
Clarifai is a leading, full-lifecycle deep learning AI platform for computer vision, natural language processing, LLM's and audio recognition. We help organizations transform unstructured images, video, text, and audio data into structured data at a significantly faster and more accurate rate than humans would be able to do on their own. Founded in 2013 by Matt Zeiler, Ph.D. Clarifai has been a market leader in AI since winning the top five places in image classification at the 2013 ImageNet Challenge. Clarifai continues to grow with employees remotely based throughout the United States, Canada, Argentina, India and Estonia.
We have raised $100M in funding to date, with $60M coming from our most recent Series C, and are backed by industry leaders like Menlo Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Lux Capital, New Enterprise Associates, LDV Capital, Corazon Capital, Google Ventures, NVIDIA, Qualcomm and Osage.
Clarifai is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing, hiring, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Note: We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas for this particular opportunity, as we are looking for someone who has a Secret Clearance.
As a lead member of our Research Team, you will solve real world problems through a process of prototyping, implementation, measurement, and iteration. You'll determine why the latest academic ideas don't work and invent solutions that do. You'll work closely with members of our Applied Machine Learning team to improve models and bring products to market based on your research.
You help us kick off work in new domains for Clarifai or add new capabilities to existing product lines. We will look to you to apply your past hands-on experience with deep learning. You will continue to learn about advances in the field by reading papers and perhaps attending conferences. Your work and knowledge about the field will directly impact Clarifai's product roadmap.
Important for the job is the ability to work in different modes:
- skilled in rapid prototyping and quick experimentation
- ability to write code that others can understand, adopt, and extend
Research scientists are expected to follow the best engineering practices as appropriate for the stage of work, such as tracking work in source control, giving and receiving code reviews, writing tests for your code.
We are looking for someone motivated by having their ideas and creations out in the world in the hands of users and who shares our excitement about the potential of machine learning to positively transform our world. We value a collaborative, inclusive environment and seek those who are skilled at sharing knowledge inside and outside of Clarifai.
As one of Clarifai's Senior Research Scientists, you will have impact within the developer community, machine learning field, and on Clarifai's business by using state-of-the-art machine learning tools, assisting with our innovation engine, and transferring your deep learning knowledge to others at Clarifai.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience crafting and experimenting with neural networks, machine learning techniques and computer vision
- Experience with multiple imaging modalities
- Fluent with using a neural network framework such as TensorFlow, Keras, Caffe, or Torch, and understanding how back-propagation works
- Fluent with Python, as well as experience with packages such as NumPy, pandas, scikit-learn, and matplotlib.
- PhD/Masters in Computer Science or related field
- Need to have at least a Secret Clearance
Great to Have
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- Previous projects building or implementing object detection and tracking models
- Experience with various computer vision frameworks such as detectron2, OpenMMLab, etc.
- Experience with other areas of machine learning, e.g. NLP, audio, SAR
- Experience with government contracting
- Published research papers or patents
- PhD in machine learning-related field