Sr. Engineering Manager - Advisor Solutions
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
Betterment for Advisors (B4A) provides financial solutions to help advisors scale their practice and deliver a high-quality, personalized client experience. This product enables automated portfolio management, custom portfolio building, easy paperless onboarding, and back-office automation along with other key features for Advisors. Our B4A engineering teams work closely with the teams and features that are responsible for our Betterment consumer experience.
The Advisor Solutions team is a new team responsible for integrating APIs, datasets, and background processes with a range of internal and external applications. The team’s mission is to automate and refine technical integrations, making Betterment the most efficient solution for advisors.
As the Sr. Engineering Manager for the Advisor Solutions Team, you’ll collaborate closely with product management and cross-functional stakeholders to develop a mission-aligned roadmap and manage its execution with your team. You’ll also partner with engineers on your team and across the organization to identify, refine, and deliver technical strategies that help us accelerate the growth of our B4A business. You’ll play a critical role between helping deliver a roadmap, partnering with recruiting to build your team, and working with stakeholders from various disciplines to deliver crucial solutions.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $190,000 - $220,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus. For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.
A day in the life
- Lead, grow, and manage a team of backend-leaning engineers to build out innovative technology that empowers advisors to help their clients make the most of their money.
- Develop deep domain expertise to enhance your team’s effectiveness as a collaboration partner, engaging with a variety of stakeholders, both within and outside the organization.
- Collaborate with Betterment's B4A business leaders to gain insights and shape strategies that bolster Betterment's standing as a frontrunner in the industry.
- Foster a team culture that prioritizes engineering excellence, a deep commitment to customer satisfaction, and a strong sense of accountability in every project.
- Embrace a first principles mindset each and every day, driving the development of innovative solutions to conventional problems.
- Foster career development and align roadmap opportunities with the career growth ambitions of your direct reports.
- Drive the implementation of agile and efficient engineering practices, ensuring that your team consistently and predictably delivers high-quality, scalable solutions within defined project timelines.
- Cultivate an environment of open communication and creative problem-solving, where engineers feel empowered to propose and develop impactful ideas that align with company objectives.
What we’re looking for
- Strong experience in object-oriented programming; Ruby on Rails is preferred. Experience with Java, GraphQL, and data engineering are a plus.
- Experience with hands-on management, mentoring, and inspiring a diverse team of talented engineers, including senior engineers
- Experience operating as a player coach, actively contributing in the same capacity as your engineers when required
- Experience in leading large team projects and managing smaller concurrent projects in partnership with senior engineers
- Experience building important, high production-value software where quality and correctness matter while preserving a nimble, fluid, highly productive culture and workflow
- Experience collaborating with other engineering teams, product managers, subject matter experts, and non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to weigh several and often ambiguous constraints to make decisions in a rapidly evolving product space
- A proven track record of hiring, onboarding,growing engineers and maintaining a high bar of performance
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to prioritize tasks and keep projects on schedule
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 7 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY