Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
Betterment’s mission is to empower people to do what’s best for their money so that they can live better, and our enterprise business is one of the essential ways we help investors and savers become more financially successful. In this role, you’ll be a product manager responsible for launching new products through our growing B2B2C line of business.
Betterment has experienced rapid growth in its Betterment at Work (B@W) line, which was started in 2016 when Betterment couldn’t find a 401(k) plan in the market that offered our employees a thoughtful and intuitive investment platform, so we built our own 401(k) from the ground up. We have expanded that business line with new, category-defining offerings to continue to accelerate our growth.
Betterment at Work is seeking a full-time product manager to work with dedicated Engineering and Design teams. In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing the evolution of our employer platform and application to continue scalably growing our business, working both with other Betterment teams and with external product partners to uplevel and improve our offering suite.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $105,000-$115,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, life and AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance, EAP, commuter and parking benefits FSA/HSA, and 401(k) with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of a company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
On any given day, the Employer Platform PM may:
- Define and shape the end user experiences supporting financial wellness for Betterment’s employer customers and our internal teams who support them
- Help define and refine our product strategy, balancing platform growth against staying ahead of the changing regulatory landscape
- Partner with subject matter experts to expand our benefit platform’s capabilities to grow our addressable market
- Conduct user interviews to deepen our understanding of how best to improve the product experience for end customers
- Partner with your engineering and design counterparts to work on high-ROI and iterative new builds
- Collaborate with your product teammates responsible for employee-facing applications to ensure a cohesive product experience across the employer and employee experiences
- Work with 3rd parties to coordinate integrated product development
- Perform competitive research on other employer-sponsored financial benefits platforms
- Develop key success metrics for new product releases & track usage against those metrics
What we’re looking for
- Experience working as a Product Manager in a software development setting or similar environment
- Prowess at cultivating relationships with cross-functional teams and stakeholders
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Decisiveness and ownership while assisting with product development decisions
- Attention to detail and great organizational skills
- Success at communicating, prioritizing and balancing needs cross-functionally and across seniority levels
- A passion for delivering the best possible service to our employer and employee clients
- Interest in working in a fast-paced, continually-evolving startup setting
- Experience in employer benefits, HRIS, or 401(k) platforms is a plus
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment participates in E-Verify. We will provide the Social Security Administration, and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security, with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. Please note that we do not use this information to pre-screen job applicants.
E-Verify Notice (Spanish)
Right to Work Notice
Right to Work Notice (Spanish)
CPRA Language - CA Applicants ONLY
For jobs based out of our NYC HQ, we require in office attendance Tuesday through Thursday, weekly.