Software Engineer, Backend (Auth Platform)
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
As a Software Engineer working on the Auth Platform team, you’ll design and build systems to enable seamless and secure access to Benchling and other applications built on top of our platform. Our platform is critical to protecting our customers’ most precious intellectual property, while facilitating collaboration that significantly accelerates breakthrough discoveries.
Working on a wide range of projects, you'll collaborate with teams across the company to architect and build foundational primitives, tools, and core services for a robust and extensible auth platform that serves developers and customer admins. Our authentication and authorization systems are becoming increasingly important as we expand our footprint with larger enterprise customers, move towards a services architecture, and build a multi-application ecosystem. This role has an opportunity to shape Benchling’s service and application architecture for years to come, while unblocking continuous growth in the business and new product capabilities.
- Own projects end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout.
- Design and architect resilient APIs, user interfaces, services, and frameworks of our auth platform.
- Work hand-in-hand with product managers, designers, and fellow engineers to understand needs and shape them into scalable software solutions.
- Ensure high quality and performance of our systems through comprehensive testing, monitoring, and optimization.
- Mentor other engineers and be a major multiplier across the team.
- Drive the evolution of our product and team. As a member of the engineering team, you will be an integral part of how we mature our tooling, engineering processes, and hiring.
Check out our engineering blog for some examples of past work. Here are some other examples of recent and future projects:
- Granular permissions: Our enterprise customers have increasingly complex access patterns as they work in highly-regulated environments and with different team setups, and our access control frameworks need to evolve to enable the flexibility and granularity that our admins are looking for. Allowing more granularity in our role-based access control framework brings challenges like scalability and performance, as well as designing a seamless user experiences.
- Global client credentials: Benchling’s Developer Platform enables our customers to extend and integrate Benchling in their digital ecosystem. As such, we needed to enable our best-in-class instrument, software, and database partners a seamless auth solution to provide out-of-the-box integrations.
- Admin roles: Administrators in Benchling range from Department admins to IT admins to customer’s Benchling champion, and we need to enable each persona to effectively handle management tasks without violating the principles of least of privilege and separation of duties.
- Have 3-7 years of experience in software engineering, ideally in a backend platform team. Experience with identity or access control platforms is a nice-to-have but not a must!
- Build software with a product-first approach. You ship code quickly and care about the real world impact of your code.
- Have strong abilities in problem solving and iterating on feedback.
- Enjoy ownership and building key pieces of product and platform
- Have a keen interest in delving deeper into building Enterprise SaaS in the life sciences industry. While prior knowledge isn’t a prerequisite, an enthusiasm to learn certainly is!
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $157,250 to $212,750.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.