Instrument Data Integration Specialist (Contract Role, Part-time)
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
We are seeking professionals with a deep understanding of laboratory instruments, the data they produce across techniques & how that data is used in scientific analysis, for a unique opportunity to develop standard instrument data models that helps drive the industry towards FAIR data standards, while supporting turn key integration across the Benchling platform.
Instrument Data Harmonization
- Convert instrument outputs into standardized data models to streamline downstream analysis and ensure consistent instrument measurements.
- Work with the Allotrope Simple Model (ASM), a JSON based standard.
Allotrope Data Model Development
- Collect, evaluate, and compare instrument data output files, to determine what is ‘standard’ across instruments in a given instrument category.
- Gather, review, and assess existing Allotrope simple model (ASM) specifications.
- Map standard instrument output data from files to the Allotrope simple model (ASM) to determine opportunities for standard model extensions
- Evaluate Allotrope data model structure to determine how & where to add fields to the ASM, to make it easy for scientific analysis.
- Participate with the Allotrope models working group and submit draft proposals for new ASMs or revisions.
Software Integration Requirements
- Define requirements for input instructions to be sent from Benchling to software that controls instruments
- Define requirements for ingesting instrument results data from software that controls instruments, in addition to how that data is standardized to the Allotrope data model
- Define end to end scientific workflows related to the experiment & techniques the instrument & software is used for.
- Subject matter expertise in one or several instrument categories required (See below)
- Experience integrating one or more of software systems that manage instrument data listed below with LIMS, electronic notebook or other downstream systems
- Data modeling experience, especially in the realm of bio-tech.
- Familiarity with JSON concepts.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, requirements definition and communication skills.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location.
ZONE 1: $100 - $120 / hour
ZONE 2: $80 - $65 / hour
ZONE 3: $65 - $50 / hour
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
#LI-JE1 #LI-Hybrid #BI-Hybrid
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.