Engineering Leader, Schemas
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
The Schemas team, which is core to our Data Platform, exists to scale Benchling's domain model to the diversity of concepts in our customers' science. By allowing our customers to introduce new domain models, which are natively integrated with our Platform, customers can directly augment and extend these domain models to represent their unique science. Schemes’ customers include both internal application developers and external customers.
As an engineering manager, you'll work closely with product and design (and our customers!) to define the team's vision and roadmap. You will lead the evolution of schemas platform to be a highly extensible and performant datastore that backs all data records in the Benchling Data Platform. We're particularly excited to hear from managers with a track record of obsessing over customer needs and product quality as they build their roadmaps and guide their team's execution. As a leader on this team, you should be passionate about the team's execution, balancing individual output alongside fostering a culture of accountability and execution excellence. You will partner with teams across platforms and Applications to ensure we're solving the right problems and making the right tradeoffs between leverage and time-to-value.
- Recruit, develop, and manage a team of exceptional product engineers.
- Partner closely with product and design to define the team's roadmap and long-term product strategy.
- Hold an unreasonably high bar for product quality as the team performs its work.
- Meet with customers to understand their science & what they need from Benchling.
- Build positive collaborations across other engineering organizations and other functions across the company.
- Contribute to engineering-wide organizational improvements as part of the management team.
- 4+ years of experience in leading impactful engineering teams. And 10+ years of total professional software development experience.
- Experienced in building a highly scalable and performant data platform for SaaS products that empowers customers and internal teams to build their schemas/data model
- Experienced in database design, indexing strategies and SQL optimization
- Led engineering teams responsible for a productivity-focused product.
- Led geographically distributed teams.
- Willing to work onsite in our SF office 3 days a week.
- Grown high-trajectory, early-to-mid-career engineers into leaders with company-wide impact.
- Experience (and enjoy!) working directly with customers to inform your team's roadmap.
- Strong writing skills.
- Curiosity about life sciences!
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $205,190 to $277,610.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous and flexible vacation
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
#LI-KW1 #LI-Hybrid #BI-Hybrid
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
Something looks off?