Technical Program Manager, Security
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2023
Anthropic’s Security team is looking for a Technical Program Manager to own and drive programs that span both within the Security team and across the broader company. In this role, you’ll be responsible for the cross-functional strategy, planning, and execution of technical programs that both enable our Security team to protect our most valuable assets and be worthy of our users’ trust.
We are a small team of generalists who are adaptable and add value fast. We excel at maintaining a broad view of our work but diving deep into the details when necessary. We understand business goals, translate and organize them into technical programs and projects, and drive execution. We are comfortable engaging with both non-technical and technical stakeholders. You’ll have opportunities to drive a wide variety of Security-related initiatives while helping to scale our Technical Program Management function.
Anthropic is an AI safety and research company that’s working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole. Our interdisciplinary team has experience across ML, physics, policy, business and product.
- Drive execution of multiple simultaneous, cross-functional projects and/or programs.
- Lead and manage strategic planning sessions and cross-functional prioritization.
- Lead program status reviews and prepare regular stakeholder and executive communications.
- Effectively set timelines and manage cross-functional project teams to deadlines through the proactive management of blockers, scope, shifting priorities, and risks.
- Interface with a variety of technical and non-technical stakeholders across Anthropic.
- Partner with Engineering Managers and other Technical Program Managers to improve the operational efficiency needs within teams.
- Effectively manage change, shift gears comfortably, decide and act without having the total picture, and handle risk and uncertainty.
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have experience driving cross-functional projects, building longer-running programs, and interfacing with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Have experience executing technical programs that require systems and engineering-level knowledge.
- Have a deep interest in and/or a willingness to learn about cybersecurity or regulatory compliance.
- Have experience reporting on complex programs through data-driven benchmarks, including writing SQL queries.
- Have strong interpersonal skills that enable you to influence without authority, build cross-organizational support, cooperation and action around security initiatives, policies and procedures.
- Have a track record for being able to successfully organize, implement and manage complex programs and projects.
- Are used to working through trade-offs, balancing competing priorities, and having your mind changed.
Strong candidates may also:
- Have past experience as an engineer or similar technical role.
- Have 8 or more years of experience in Technical Program Management or similar technical role.
- Have past experience building a centralized Project Management Office (PMO).
- Contributing to initiatives related to the Security Commitments listed in Anthropic’s Responsible Scaling Policy.
- Partnering with the Developer Productivity team to improve Remote Development workflows.
- Partnering with cross-functional stakeholders to build a Third Party Risk Management program.
- Driving efforts related to Two Party Controls, Production Access Reduction, and Binary Allowlisting.
- Helping to establish our Security Operations Center (SOC).
- Driving efforts around risk management, product security, and other areas that improve the security of Anthropic.
Annual Salary (USD)
- The expected salary range for this position is $320,000 - $405,000
Location-based hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
US visa sponsorship: We do sponsor visas! However, we aren't able to successfully sponsor visas for every role and every candidate; operations roles are especially difficult to support. But if we make you an offer, we will make every effort to get you into the United States, and we retain an immigration lawyer to help with this.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills. We're trying to build a core of knowledge and intuition about the most robustly effective innovations in AI, and so thoroughly-documented null results are almost as valuable as positive discoveries. We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us!
Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.