Associate General Counsel - Commercial/Technology Transactions
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2023
Join the team making AI safe.
Anthropic is seeking a highly qualified Associate General Counsel to lead commercial and technology transactions at Anthropic. We’ll rely on you to help us develop and negotiate partnerships and commercial agreements to deploy cutting-edge AI systems with key partners, build scalable contracting processes, and support business development and sales teams. As one of the early in-house lawyers in a rapidly scaling startup, you’ll share in the leadership of Anthropic’s legal function, and step up to handle whatever needs doing.
- Draft, analyze, negotiate and complete complex commercial transactions with the company’s enterprise customers and strategic partners, including AI Service Agreements, IP licensing agreements, and procurement agreements.
- Collaborate with the product, sales and procurement teams to achieve key business objectives and deliver strategic, business-minded, and solutions-focused counsel.
- Develop and implement use of templates, “playbooks,” and policies.
- As a relatively small legal team supporting big things, each attorney practices across multiple areas. We’d love to hear where else you’d be interested to pitch in, whether as a function of your experience or interests.
You might be a good fit if...
- You have experience operating in a fast-paced technology startup in which priorities shift rapidly and schedules “move to the left.” You thrive in this dynamic environment and pride yourself on your adaptability and ability to pivot with speed and grace.
- You are quickly able to understand Anthropic's mission, what’s important in the context of a partnership or negotiation, when to be flexible, and when to draw a hard line.
- You prefer straightforward, concise explanations to legalese and overwrought drafting.
- You have a knack for identifying and implementing efficient processes and policies.
- You thrive as a member of cross-functional teams building frontier technologies and want to develop a deep understanding of our technical teams and what we are building.
- You are a strategic thinker and have experience building and/or leading a world-class, highly efficient commercial function at a rapidly growing company.
- You enjoy wearing many hats in a fast-growing startup environment and are comfortable operating outside your areas of expertise and in uncharted legal territory.
- You are a “doer” and are willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done. You’re a team player who doesn’t hesitate to jump in to solve difficult problems.
- JD; active membership in at least one U.S. state bar (California preferred)
- 9+ years of related legal experience (in-house preferred) with at least 5 years of experience developing and negotiating SaaS agreements and/or technology transactions.
- Deep substantive knowledge of enterprise software and other software licensing and distribution, strategic partnerships, and intellectual property (patent, trade secret, copyright) licensing arrangements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Motivated self-starter able to multi-task and juggle multiple priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Authentic integrity and a deep understanding of the importance of ethics in business.
We are open to candidates with more or less experience and tailoring title, scope of responsibilities, and compensation accordingly.
Annual Salary (USD)
- The expected salary range for this position is $275k - $300k.
Role-specific policy: For this role, we expect you to be able to work from our San Francisco office at least 2-3 days a week, and to be able to come in as needed for in-person meetings with key stakeholders. However, we encourage you to apply even if you might need some flexibility for an interim period of time.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity -On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Company-wide hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time. However, different roles may have different requirements - if this role has a different preference, it will be noted above.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Come work with us! Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.
See more open positions at Anthropic
Something looks off?