Chief of Staff to the CEO
People & HR, Operations
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2023
As Chief of Staff to the CEO, you will scope and drive many of Anthropic’s most important strategic initiatives and engage with high-level questions fundamental to both the company and the broader societal impacts of artificial intelligence. This role will be highly strategic and will help to determine the trajectory of the company. You will report directly to Anthropic’s CEO, Dario Amodei, and work with the leadership team to ensure Anthropic runs smoothly.
You will work on a variety of projects across all aspects of company affairs, including:
- Leading consequential planning and organizational strategy projects for the company. Representative projects could include refining Anthropic’s theory of change and partnership strategy as the company grows and the AI ecosystem evolves
- Serving as “eyes and ears” for the company’s Chief Executive Officer. Ensuring the CEO has the information needed to make important decisions, and that information travels from the CEO and Anthropic’s leadership team to relevant parts of the organization
- Owning high-priority meetings for the CEO: e.g., structuring the agenda and attendee lists, scoping and reviewing meeting materials, and following up on post-meeting tasks
- Operating as a thought partner for the CEO, and as a source of objective counsel and feedback
- Working with the CEO and the leadership team to ensure the CEO’s time is well spent
- Offering mentorship, as needed, to other team members who directly support the CEO’s daily work
- Identifying opportunities for operational improvements as Anthropic expands its team and work
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have experience in an executive role in a fast-moving, high-stakes environment.
- Are a clear and superb written and verbal communicator
- Are extraordinarily execution-oriented and have a bias towards action
- Quickly synthesize information from meetings and other sources to provide recommendations, create materials for firm-wide or targeted communications, etc. Are proactive, and can identify emerging opportunities and risks that merit Anthropic leadership’s attention
- Enjoy working cross-functionally with highly technical and specialized colleagues across the organization
- Understand the basic dynamics of the technology industry, the U.S. and international policy environments, and other ecosystems important to Anthropic’s work
- Have high emotional intelligence, and are able to deftly navigate complex cross-team projects and help accelerate decisions in a fast-moving environment.
- Are results-oriented, with a bias towards flexibility and impact.
Strong candidates may also have experience with some of the following:
- Serving as an executive for an early-stage technology company
- Engaging with leaders in corporations, governments, and civil society organizations
- Managing board processes for fast-moving private sector or nonprofit organizations
- Experience or engagement with artificial intelligence, machine learning or another scientific discipline.
Annual Salary (USD)
- The expected salary range for this position is $130k - $270k.
Hybrid policy & US visa sponsorship: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time. We do sponsor visas! However, we aren't able to successfully sponsor visas for every role and every candidate; operations roles are especially difficult to support. But if we make you an offer, we will make every effort to get you into the United States, and we retain an immigration lawyer to help with this.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Company-wide hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time. However, different roles may have different requirements - if this role has a different preference, it will be noted above.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Come work with us! Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.
See more open positions at Anthropic
Something looks off?