Couchsurfing - is the world's premier social travel platform, with over 18 million members in nearly every country in the world. Couchsurfing changes people's lives. Hearing the stories of Couchsurfers whose lives have been transformed by travel is the greatest reward for doing what we do. Join us and every day thousands of people from every country in the world will meet in person and embark on new adventures as a direct result of your work.
Our platforms include Web, iOS and Android, and our mobile audience is growing rapidly. If you're interested in making a big impact at a small company with a passionate and large user base and growing revenue streams, then you'll like it here.
At Couchsurfing, we expect a lot of each other. Our mission and culture is what gets us up in the morning and makes our work meaningful and fun. You should be excited about the following:
- Couchsurfing serves a socially positive mission: Share your life. Couchsurfing is a community of friends you haven’t met yet. Open the door to new people, places, and perspectives.
- As a team, we have all agreed to 7 core commitments:
- I agree to do my personal best
- I agree to have proactive transparent communication
- I agree to acknowledge impact, success and small wins
- I agree to have a courageous vision I agree to play team
- I agree to be my word
- I agree to ask for support when I need it
- I agree to be treated like a leader
Technologies we work with:
- Backend: Ruby 2.4, Ruby 5.0
- Frontedn: React
- Infrastructure: AWS, Terraform, Jenkins, Kubernetes
- Client side (Android and iOS): Java and few initial components written in Kotlin, Objective-C and Swift
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer that can help us design and maintain scalable and secure architecture to continue to deliver web and mobile experiences that allow travelers to connect all around the world.
Problems we work on:
- Product: Building the tools our large and engaged user-base utilize to connect and share experiences.
- Design: Care about making every pixel perfect and meaningful. Every transition smooth and delightful. Every interaction intuitive.
- Reliability: Deliver reliable software through continuous integration, automated testing, and in-depth code reviews.
- Invention: Envision totally new features, flows, and techniques that are inspired, considered, and magical.
- Improve the observability of our entire infrastructure
- Continue to modularize our Infrastructure as Code
- Continuously improve architecture and technology stack
- Maintain our security posture with tooling and process
- Contribute to our on-call rotation and service ownership
Experience and skills we're interested in
- Experience with UNIX systems administration including solid scripting skills in Shell, Ruby, or Python
- Knowledge of configuration management systems such as Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- Infrastructure experience in a AWS-heavy environment
- Experience working in an agile, Rails environment
- SQL proficiency, either on MySQL or Postgres
- Believer in data driven decision making and a predisposition to leveraging existing systems instead of rolling your own
- Building APIs for mobile and/or web a plus
- Experience with SOLR or Elasticsearch a huge plus
A bit about you
- You love to code, and you've worked with multiple programming languages
- You love to build tools that enable a whole organization to rapidly produce software products and services
- You have an insatiable craving for making applications more consistent and reliable over time
- You believe you can automate everything, and you can identify opportunities to remove manual processes
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, and the ability to take constructive feedback well
- A talent for simplifying, and passion for great design
- Passion for travel a plus!