Benchling is the first modern software platform purpose-built for life science R&D. We are helping power breakthrough research on biotherapeutics, biofuels, and biomaterials at leading life science companies and the world's most renowned academic labs.
Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Reporting to the CMO, the Creative Director will be responsible for the growth of Benchling’s brand, amplifying our story, and bringing the company’s vision to life. We are looking for a leader who can help us take our brand to the next level and make Benchling one of the most recognized brands in life sciences across researchers and large enterprises. Benchling has a solid brand foundation with a loyal following of scientists who not only love our product but also love our brand, specifically our jellyfish logo. This leader will guide our brand strategy while also driving hands-on execution of the creative process. The creative director will hire a core team and partner closely with other groups to ensure consistent application of Benchling’s brand guidelines and philosophy.
Please include a link to your portfolio along with your application submission.
- Develop a strong point-of-view of the Benchling brand and guide the company in creating a compelling, differentiated brand in the life sciences industry.
- Own the branding, design, and voice of all creative outputs from website and emails, to ads and customer videos, to events and presentations, to tradeshow booths and company swag.
- Provide creative direction to ensure a cohesive, polished visual identity and voice across everything we do, while balancing the trade-offs required to move quickly in a high-growth company.
- Define and institute a design process from ideation and concept to implementation and delivery for smooth execution of all creative projects.
- Collaborate cross-functionally on creative needs across the company and build closer connections with the product design practice.
- Establish a creative function to deliver design and copy services though an internal team or freelancers.
- Hire and mentor a core creative team (e.g. designer, copywriter, videographer, producer).
- Select, manage, and guide the work of agencies and freelancers when required.
- Lead new brand-building campaigns to increase Benchling’s mindshare and visibility in the life sciences industry.
- Create and maintain Benchling’s brand book and enforce brand standards.
- Own brand health metrics (awareness, relevance, consideration, etc) and develop strategies to support this.
- 10+ years of creative experience, ideally including both agency and in-house stints
- Strong preference for design and art direction background
- Previous creative director or brand strategist experience in a software/technology company a plus
- Branding in B2C and B2B environments a plus
- Demonstrated ability defining brands from the ground up including brand guidelines, tone of voice, and design systems
- Track record working with designers/copywriters/videographers and delivering work across all mediums (print, web, mobile, video)
- Experience leading creative projects and process spanning from strategy and ideation to production
- Comfortable with ambiguity and setting up creative function from scratch
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills
- Strong design sensibilities, from high-level strategic direction down to the smallest details
- Creative thinker who appreciates diverse perspectives and collaboration
- Ability to lead, inspire, and bring conceptual ideas to fruition through creative and analytical exercises
- Experience building, mentoring, inspiring, and retaining creative teams
- Independent self-starter with ability to multi-task and work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Beautiful, light-filled office in the Financial District of SF
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Meals and snacks covered
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Happy hours, company and team wide social events
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.