About The Role
TPMs in Engineering play a critical role executing high-impact initiatives as well as defining, running, and improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
In this role, you will lead execution for various financial products and services in partnership with banks and fintechs to launch new products that address regulatory obligations as well as customer needs. The products must be built with scale in mind, considering Uber operates and serves customers in over 65 markets around the globe. You will write playbooks, provide abstractions, and build configurable platforms with test tenets that can be leveraged by regional teams in order to for Uber to stay Compliant. You will help scale Uber financial products across multiple markets drawing on local expertise, external partners and engineering resources as needed. Scope, Design, Build, Test, Launch, Scale, Repeat.
Background articles to explain some of the vision, scope, and impact of Uber's financial products and platform:
Uber: Payments & Profitability
Where Uber goes from here, how it'll look in the future and what that means for the payments ecosystem and profitability
What You'll Do
- Coordinate efforts between internal engineering teams and external partners on planning, execution, timelines and stakeholder management.
- Project manage cross-functional initiatives working with engineering managers and engineers to estimate efforts, define milestones, and drive the schedule. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Track issues and proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
- Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
- Understand the relationship between mobile and backend changes related to mobile feature development.
What You'll Need
- Minimum of 8 years of experience with Technical Program Management
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks; Engineers enjoy working closely with you
- Experienced in project management; Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence; Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously, without losing sight of highest priority items
- Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions
- Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively
Bonus Points If You Have
- An established track record of shipping mobile-related products
- Delivering Product that meet Compliance (PSD2 or KYC, etc) regulations
- Computer Science degree, or related field
- Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup
- Prior experience with engineering platforms, tooling, and system design
- Worked with globally distributed teams
- Technical program management experience at an established company with a strong TPM team
About the Team
TPMs are very technical and highly respected program managers who move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex cross-functional projects globally, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.