Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
The Staff Accountant will play a key part in our day-to-day accounting operations, month-end close process, and share in leading the accounts payable efforts for our small but growing team. We are looking for an individual with an accounting background, good understanding of GAAP and general ledger structure. If you are attentive, collaborative, curious and like to be challenged, we would love to meet you!
- Perform full cycle accounts payable function for all business expenses including employee expense reports, vendor management, contract management, W-9 procurement, PO and invoice maintenance and review, coding and posting, securing of sufficient support and approval, and payment.
- Prepare and manage annual 1099 and 3921 filings.
- Prepare weekly and monthly rollforward and reconciliation of balance sheet and expense accounts, including: bank and credit card accounts, prepaid expenses, fixed assets and depreciation expenses, deposits, accounts payable, accrued expenses, deferred rent expenses, payroll/401k/FSA/HSA liabilities and related expenses, commission accruals and expenses, etc.
- Identify and post job-specific journal entries, calculations and account flux analysis as part of month/quarter/year-end financial close and reporting processes.
- Assist in preparation and filing of tax returns and compliance reports such as federal and state income taxes, sales, use and excise taxes, local business and property taxes, and other statutory requirements.
- Participate in design and execution of “procure to pay” processes in accordance with the company’s policies.
- Lead or assist on special projects as needed (e.g. audits, system implementation, etc.).
- Ensure that all activities related to this job position are accomplished in an ethical, prudent and secure manner
- BS/BA in Accounting or equivalent with a solid understanding of GAAP.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in performing account reconciliations and full-cycle accounts payable responsibilities.
- Familiarity with NetSuite in multi-entity structure.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite with intermediate skills in Excel including VLOOKUP, if functions, pivot tables, etc.
- Experience utilizing expense management software for supplier and employee expenses.
- Experience in SaaS environment preferred.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
- Analytical and motivated to self-educate; able to identify and report relevant issues to management for timely and accurate resolution.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Must be able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and demands.
- Versatile, enjoy working in a fast paced environment and manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively with teammates and various levels of management as well as external contacts.
- Reliability with strong work ethic, maturity and professionalism to handle confidential data
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Meals and snacks covered
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Happy hours, company and team wide social events
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.