Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Our design + engineering + product team of ~30 is still small but growing quickly. We're looking for a strong designer to add to our design team and ship creative solutions to complex product problems, helping to drive the biotech revolution.
- Partner with PM and engineering to engage in user research, influence product direction, and define design projects
- Actively contribute to evolving our process, tools and systems to ensure we’re creating great, consistent work
- Work through product problems from definition and opportunity to shipping features to our customers
- Design and prototype multiple ideas quickly, sometimes with customers, to validate product directions
- Influence our brand identity and help to set up a visual design function
- Instill a culture of design in a company that already takes user experience as its key differentiator
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- 2+ years of experience designing workflows, analytics, or other technically complex products
- A strong portfolio of relevant design work that conveys an ability to ship successful products people love
- Experience with and affinity for highly complex product architectures
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain the reasoning behind complex decisions
- Experience working with PM and engineering in a fast-moving environment
- Relentless focus on the customer
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
Perks and Benefits
- Beautiful, light-filled office in the Financial District of SF
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (up to $100/month on a gym membership, running shoes, or even a massage)
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Meals and snacks covered
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Happy hours, company and team wide social events
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.