Innovation Engineer, Office of the CTO at Uber
San Francisco, CA, US
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
Innovation engineers build prototypes to test out-of-the-box, futuristic solutions to the biggest problems and opportunities posed to Uber by emerging technological advances. The domain of exploration will range from hacking hardware to deploying machine learning models to onboarding autonomous vehicles, and much more.
We are seeking senior and staff level engineers who have the desire and ability to ensure that Uber stays ahead of the competition by identifying the unique possibilities presented by rapidly developing technology and turning those possibilities into reality.
What You’ll Do
This role will require a wide variety of skills and techniques. Some possible tasks:
- Explore integrating near-term autonomy technology into Uber’s stack
- Implement machine learning models to extract information from all of Uber’s unstructured data
- Utilize IoT devices to allow calling an Uber through a simple swipe
- Design and implement a mesh network from all of Uber’s millions of sensors
- Quickly understand diverse new technologies, Uber’s many complex subsystems, and the fastest way to integrate the two
What You’ll Need
- Comfort with ambiguity and taking risks.
- Ability to prototype quickly and evaluate ideas strategically.
- Desire and capability to learn and understand new technologies quickly
- Strong product sense and ability to work closely with product managers in the team and across Uber
About the Team
The Office of the CTO (OCTO) has established an initiative to drive innovation across the company. This initiative will take many forms including building a full-time Innovation team within OCTO itself. The mission of this team is to tackle the hardest technical challenges of disruptive technology and determine if they are surmountable.